average yields here too

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

Ditto the previous answer.

I have tried to keep up with some watering, but when I dug a few of my Vales Earlies, the yield wasn't amazing, It's the first time I've grown these and I wouldn't bother again (on grounds that they tasted average).

We have some Charlottes in too and I hope to try them this weekend.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Colin, hope your charlottes do better for you, I love Jersey potatoes for flavour using seaweed and comfrey as fertiliser they have an exquisite flavour and the seed can be bought only they can't be called jerseys unless they're grown there. BTW loved the photos of Charles Dowdings garden, like him I practise no dig and it works, my no dig areas are in raised beds and mulched with straw/ grass clippings and spent crops / dried seedless weeds. , I planted some seedlings yesterday and the soil is still moist under the mulch without any watering., the worms come right up to the surface and take in the mulch to feed the soil. I earth my spuds up with my home grown compost which contains comfrey, and all sorts, I even layer in fish trimmings from my local fishmonger, making sure I bury it in the pile. We have enough cats not to worry about rats!
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic