strawberry plant death

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

retropants
KG Regular

Can anyone help pinpoint why a percentage of our new strawberry plants, full of developing fruit are collapsing? They start off looking a little thirsty, but watering doesn't help and they are badly wilting and the developing fruit are drying up. Agh, after the woodlice dilemma we bought all new plants and relocated last autum. The new bed looked so promising lots of lovely big healthy plants covered with flowers a few weeks ago. Now some are just giving up it would appear. :(
Geoff
KG Regular

I think Vine Weevils like Strawberry plants. Are the roots missing or separating from the affected plants?
retropants
KG Regular

They are not in pots, do vine weevils bother with open ground? i didn't think they did, but stand to be corrected! I will check to see if I can see any evidence of them.
John
KG Regular

Hello RP
There is a fungus disease called verticillium wilt which affects strawberry plants in the way that you describe. What did you grow in your strawberry bed last year? I once planted a strawberry bed in an area that had had potatoes in it during the previous year and most of the plants eventually went down with this disease. I didn't realise until it was far too late that strawberries after potatoes is a big No No as potatoes can host this problem but rarely show it.

Whatever the cause I doubt that the affected plants can be saved so it would be safest to dig them out with some surrounding soil then dispose of them in your rubbish (not green waste) bin.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
realfood
KG Regular

Yes, vine weevils grubs operate in the ground as well and are the usual culprits.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have got problems with ant nest on the allotments this year, and this includes under a couple of Strawberry plants, causing them to wilt.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

gosh, it could be any one of those things! Thanks everyone. I'll check for pests first then, if I have to, will put the affected ones on the fire.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

When I was looking at my new strawberry bed yesterday I noticed that two or three plants had smaller leaves than the others, had more berries on them, but were wilting badly and didn't look very good.

I've never had any problems with strawberries before and wonder if something has been brought in with the new plants. After reading this topic I'm wondering also if this is a particular problem this year with strawberries in general.
Beryl
KG Regular

I checked my new bed today to. New plants Marshmello from Marshalls
3 are wilting to and don't look as if they will survive. The other 9 are looking very healthy though and producing fruit. Can't see any sign of ants of weevels. It might be the dreaded VW. Think I will destroy them as suggested - thanks.

Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Beryl, I also got some new plants of Marshmello from Marshalls and three of these are, or were, covered in fruits and flowers, but quite small and wilting. I've pulled these out and there is no sign of vine weevil anywhere, so it isn't that. The roots didn't look as though there was much life in them and they didn't seem to have put any new roots out from being planted, but I've still no idea what was wrong with them. The leaves don't look to have virus, but are just rather small. Anyway, it seems to be a root problem whatever it is. All the dodgy ones are in the bin anyway and I'll just root some of the new runners to fill the gaps and hope there isn't anything in the soil to upset them.
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, I'm now wondering if it was a dodgy lot from Marshalls although they should be of certified stock.
My bed was completely new, soil, compost the lot. I shall fill gaps to with runners.
I can only think it was the very wet winter we had. I am at the bottom of the allotment sight and get everyones drainage. We can only speculate.

Beryl.
glallotments
KG Regular

Have you written to Marshalls?
Beryl
KG Regular

No not yet but I am thinking about it.

Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've not had chance to tell them yet, but it is on my To Do list. They should be told anyway if there is a problem as they might not be aware of it and if they are they might be able to tell us what it is.
Beryl
KG Regular

I have written to Marshalls this evening via their website. Will let you know if they come up with anything. I have not destroyed my plants yet and offered to return them.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic