cheap fruit bushes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Meow
KG Regular

more like twigs than bushes!
has anyone had any success with those really cheap fruit bushes you can get from those bargain shops or are they just a false economy? would i be better off investing in something more substantial?
skinny_bum
KG Regular

Hi Meow,
Last year I purchased one of those cheap trees, a cooking apple from pound stretcher, (why I got another cooker god knows as I have a massive one in the garden already) anyway my point is this, for the sack of £4.99 I thought that I would go ahead and try it, I have it in a massive pot, not the best thing but its all I could do for the poor old thing. Last year was its 1st year and it looked fine, this year the 2nd year, it survived winter and is looking pretty god, it is starting to bud and I belieive that I will have fruit this year.

On another note, re fruit trees, I have just been to Fucus Do it all, and they have some fruit trees there, they are £9.99 or 2 for £15, they are budding already and I think that they are about 2-3 years old.
I am waiting for them to get some more choice in, then I am up to buy some, an eatting apple and a plum if they do it, as they are the one that you can put in a pot and grow on the one stem straight up and not out.

I am sure that there will be some other people post a better reply, & advise, but I say, give it a go. :D Good Luck
Skinny :P
Beryl
KG Regular

I don't see why not. Most fruit bushes look like twigs when you first buy them.
These shops can buy in large quantities to get a good price as can the DIY stores.

Well worth tryingand sometimes a bargain.

Beryl.
madasafish
KG Regular

Being mean, I sometimes buy reduced bushes- reduced because they have been neglected and are half dead.

The eating gooseberry I bought (Focus?) just survived year 1, grew lots of wood year 2 and now in years 3 looks like it is going to have lots of fruit.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Meow,
To me a fruit tree is something for a life span and simply would not even contemplate buying from any of the cheapo places.
I like to know the provenance of what I buy and with the cheapos you cannot even guarantee what you have bought is what it says on the label.
With most of these places they cannot even tell you what rootstock the plant is grafted onto so you have no idea how big the tree will grow.
Without this knowledge how can you even site your tree!
Best to use reputable growers only.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic