where to keep my chickens!

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mrs gruntilla
KG Regular

Hi there

very sorry if this has already been discussed - this is my first post, so still finding my way around.

I used to keep chickens a few years ago (loved them) and change in circumstances meant I had to give them up.

Now, my husband and I are renting a house, and have an allotment - and here is my dilemma... I can keep chickens in our (small) back garden in one of those houses that has the 'living area' above the run (shaped like a prism?...) and move them around the garden all the time or, I can keep them at the allotment (is this correct?) and they will have more room.

At home, they will get more attention - at the allotment, I'll see them once a day.

I'm not a chicken expert, so I'd appreciate some advice - which is best? more room, or more attention? and equally, what would be a good breed (cross breed?) to go for?

Thank you for your help :D
Diane
KG Regular

As long as you have permission from your landlord then I would keep them at home - much safer. You never know who's around on the allotment - two legged or four legged critters may take your hens! Also, as the weather warms up you'll be able to make sure they have fresh clean water daily.
They'll be fine in an enclosed run. If you can move it around then that's fine - but some of mine are in a static run which has paving slabs as a base and I top it with shavings and straw. This keeps them amused scratching around and it's easy to scrape out weekly, a quick hose down, and new shavings and straw put down. (I only have a small garden too). Hang up a brussel sprout stem or give them a wire hanging basket in the run containing a few greens, apples or carrots etc. They'll keep themselves amused and exercised pecking at it.

There are so many breeds out there and everyone has their favourites.

If you only have a limited amount of space then go for bantams . My favourites are pekins - but most of the large breeds have a bantam equivalent - all depends on what's available in your area. When you buy it's best to go to a breeder - not an auction. Look for a clean beak and nostrils and shiny clear eyes. Smooth legs and a lively looking hen. If you buy point of lay hens (about 18-20 weeks old) then they'll have time to settle down before they start laying. And you'll have time to check them over for any nasties.

For the large fowl then Rhode Island Reds or Marans are excellent - amiable and good layers. Another good layer is a Leghorn - but not so friendly. Black Rocks are great too - but need a bit of room to thrive.
Hybrids lay extremely well for a couple of years and then are prone to sudden death (as they are egged out!).
You'll need to worm them spring and autumn and get in a supply of anti-redmite powder for the henhouse. You'll also need a supply of mixed grit available ad lib. I feed mine on pellets with a small handful of mixed corn in the afternoon.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

My sister in law in Croydon keeps hers in her garden, in the run most of the day, but when they are home in the evening, they let the chickens out for a run and to flap their wings for an hour or two before bed. She has hers very well trained apparently.
Kind regards,

Elle
skinny_bum
KG Regular

I too am looking about maybe getting some chickens, are they more trouble than they are worth? How ill do they get and can I just take them to my local vet?
Mine would be in a large cage, but I know nothing of, what to feed, what to look for if they get ill, what sort of run they should have, bedding etc etc. Can someone point me in the direction of a good beginers website please? :roll:
I have a cat and dog so am used to animals and the like, and have quite a big garden, I think that I get a fox in the garden so I will need to keep them enclosed in.
Do they have to have fresh water every day, or can I just have one of those large water feeders that I have seen free range chickens use. I am so confused as to what to do, can some one help. Thanks
SB :?
alan refail
KG Regular

Can someone point me in the direction of a good beginers website please?

All your questions should be answered if you explore THIS EXCELLENT SITE.
skinny_bum
KG Regular

HI Alan,
Thanks for link, it is great. 8)
SB
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic