Scorzonera - advice

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jethrotattydrill
KG Regular

I have grown scorzonera for the first time this year. I have dug a few roots and they seem to be a good size. Does anyone out there have a tried,trusted and tasty method of cooking them?
Thanks
peter
KG Regular

Having tried them once, dry them out and once dried use them as fuel in your stove, :shock: eugh!
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
glallotments
KG Regular

We have grown them for a few years and haven't got round to actually eating them - to be honest they didn't look very appetising
jethrotattydrill
KG Regular

I actually tried them last night and I think Peter's advice is sound - what a waste of time!!! Never again.
glallotments
KG Regular

I'm glad I haven't bothered yet then - I'll dig ours up as I when they flower they look a bit like weeds too.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

The same method as Salsify. scrape the roots and pop into water which has some lemon juice added, this will stop the roots discolouring. Then boil as per carrots or roast as parsnips. Cheers, Tony.
Elsa
KG Regular

They are delicious. Scrape them, cook them in slightly salted water til almost done (takes longer then carrots), drain them and then braise them in a little butter. Please try, before giving up.
G.Fruit
KG Regular

I haven´t tried eating Scorzonera in a long time, but I found this recipe on the River Ford Blog. There´s also this blog too.

Still unsure on it though!!

bunch of salsify or scorzonera
butter
parsley
garlic
vinaigrette

To prepare salsify or scorzonera, scrub well and peel with a sharp knife. Both types of root can be cut into short lengths and simmered for 10-20 minutes or until tender. The roots can then be sautéd in butter or served with lemon juice and chopped parsley. Alternatively, salsify and scorzonera can also be mashed, puréed for use in soups or served cold with a simple vinaigrette.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic