Which Cucumber?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stu the fish
KG Regular

Hi Guy's & Girls - Polly tunnel will be fully functional this year - just wondered which varieties of cucumber to grow? Which ones give nicest taste and grow prolifically? Any hints on successful methods of growing also welcome?
Thanks STF
glallotments
KG Regular

I'm afraid we are a bit boring and grow Burpless Tasty Green which seems to produce a good crop but I can't really judge the taste against any others as we have only grown that one for ages now. It tastes ... cucumbery!
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

If you can get hold of one called Paska, they are crisp thin skinned and delicious and long cropping, unfortunately I haven't seen them advertised.
They were so nice I used to eat them like apples !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I found the T&M outdoor varieties Marketmore and Masterpiece did very well in our greenhouse, which is partially shaded and unheated.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Geoff
KG Regular

We like Passandra
richardwil
KG Regular

Have a look at the F1 all female mini varieties. I grow these and always have a good crop which starts early and last well into October. We usually get more than we can eat from 3 plants for a family of 4.

Cheers
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you for that link Gallotments, very helpful indeed, I found other things too.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
John
KG Regular

I agree with Richard - the mini-cucs are the ones to grow. For several years I grew Zeina from T&M in a cold frame. I had good germination and excellent crops but the price of the seed is now so high that I'm looking to try something similar and cheaper.
Mini-cucs are ideal for a family as they get used in a couple of days but with the full size ones a lot was just wasted.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Stu the fish
KG Regular

Thanks guy's really helpful - reckon' I'll give the mini's a go and have a hunt round for another as well.
Best regards
STF
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Whichever you choose, don't grow too many plants. They are very prolific. A couple of years ago I grew three plants and was picking about 11 fruits every day for ages. The fridge was full and everyone who came to the house was given several in an attempt to get rid of them.
Primrose
KG Regular

I echo those who recommend the mini cucumbers. They seem to have far more flavour than the large ones and have a crispier crunchy texture. They're also small enough to pop a whole one into lunch boxes for summer picnics.
Gilly C
KG Regular

another vote for minis here but no more than 2 plants !!!
Victoria
KG Regular

I grown Marketmore every year, they are easy to grow, but not too many as they are prolific!
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

How much room do the mini cucumbers take? I was planning on putting them in a growbag in the greenhouse. My packet came with 5 seeds, and I shall start them all off in case of tragic accidents :lol: but how many plants would you put in a growbag - bearing in mind I have two large son's who will be able to polish them off as snacks everyday? In fact, I am quite taken with the idea of a glut, after all my efforts last year we didn't once have a glut, or even too much of anything. It was always a case of making do with what we had!
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic