Yearly Appraisal.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

snooky
KG Regular

Had my yearly appraisal with my Line Manager today and one of the questions asked was what was my ambitions for the next year.You may imagine the expression on his face when I reminded him that I retire in December this year and that my ambition was to get there in one piece so that I can while away the rest of my time on this Planet on my allotments!
I suppose that the question had to be asked as it was part of the set questions which had to be answered to find out if myself and my fellow Engineers were working within the Company's guidelines.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I would like to have been a fly on the wall, just to see his face !
Wishing you a happy retirement, and successful allotmenteering.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Snooky, what a wonderful answer to his question, i would say he was probably rather jealous.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

I used to say "find a way to afford to retire". Managed it at 60 almost 3 years ago - how did I find time to work?
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I'm almost as busy after retirement as before. But it's on my timetable, which I can change at will, not that of others. And there's another piece of advice which becomes more appropriate: Never put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the day after.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm also really enjoying retirement. If I'd been asked what my main aim is this year I would have said to get a better crop of aubergines, I'd like to have seen his face if you'd said that.

I would disagree with Mike's putting things off though. If there is something you really want to do do it now - don't wait.

Just look forward to December Snooky.
Monika
KG Regular

I do agree, Geoff, I don't know how I ever found time to go to work, either. My retirement lies more than 20 years back and, no doubt, one slows down over the years, but you will greatly enjoy it, Snooky, believe me!

Just think, you can work on the allotment when the weather is just right not when your time allows!
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi Snooky,

I'd love to know what he wrote on the relevant forms after you gave him that answer! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Primrose
KG Regular

Snooky - only ten and a half months to go! If you enjoy gardening, your retirement will be blissful. I look back on my working life and remember all those times when it had rained all week-end when I couldn't get outdoor jobs done, and had gone back into work on a sunny Monday and felt really frustrated that I couldn't be in the garden. And being boss of your own timetable can't be beaten.
snooky
KG Regular

Thank you everyone for your good wishes on my impending retirement next December,I have been told that retirement is "the best kept secret."
He wrote on my form,Mouse,"to carry on in current role until retirement in December 2010-career plan longer term (12 months plus):N/A.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

At my last appraisal when I had nothing to lose, I recall declaring my future career development plans along the lines of:

To brush up my Italian
To try to write a novel
To read The Telegraph from cover to cover over breakfast before attempting my first task of the day.
To throw away the alarm clock and never rise before daylight on a weekday morning, especially if it's raining.

I must confess that I found these objectives much easier to achieve than some of my work related ones. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic