raised beds

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

iknownothing
KG Regular

Hi

I am a complete novice as my user name suggests! but i have wanted to grow veg for a while now. I have bought some plastic tiered raised beds 2m x 1m, they are on paving slabs as that is the sunniest part of my garden the rest being quite shady for most of the day. I have lined them with water permeable weed control fabric and tomorrow have a tonne of topsoil arriving to fill them - my question is what should i add to the topsoil - shop bought compost? what ratio of compost would i need approx?
Any answers greatly appreciated thankyou
richard p
KG Regular

there are two reasons add stuff to the soil... firstly to add nutrients to feed the plants and secondly to add organic matter to retain water... shop bought compost is one answere... any plant based material that will rot is beneficial.. leaf mold. manure, home made compost, lawn mowings, veg peelings... even shredded paper. as to how much... i would use as much organic matter as i could find... when our local council was giving away their recycled compost i used a couple of baths full of 100% compost to grow carrots and salad leaves, wouldnt use quite as much if i had to pay for it though :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum iknownothing. :)

Regarding the question of what to add to the topsoil, i think i would wait and see what the topsoil is like when it arrives. If you have purchased a good quality screened topsoil, there is no real need to add anything sraight away.
You can then start making your own compost through this year, to add to your raised beds next year.

If it's poor quality soil, i think i would buy a bucket of Chicken manure pellets and apply at the suggested rate from the intructions.
And just buy a few bags of compost, maybe three 60 litres bags and mix it into the top couple of inches of the filled beds.

If the soil comes in like subsoil, i would give in now. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
iknownothing
KG Regular

thankyou both for your advice - we'll see what it looks like when it arrives tomorrow - the nurseries i bought it from is a small local nursery who says he supplies the local allotment holders so i'm hoping it's ok - just wondering how much i might have to bribe my children with to help me move it from the front to the back of the house!!!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear iknownothing, just tell them how excitng it's going to be picking your fresh vegetables, and the quicker you get the soil round the back, the quicker you can start growing things.

Unless they are teenagers that is, if so i would just get on with the job yourself. :)

iknownothing
KG Regular

thankyou oldherbacious
my 11 yr old said how much and my 14 yr old thinks i'm potty she says what do you think asda is for!!!!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thats what i love about kids, you always get on honest answer from them on such things, and those answers were rather good ones. :lol:

JohnN
KG Regular

Dear IKN
I have lots of runner bean seeds over from last year, so if you want some to start you off let me have your address and I'll send you a packet. I think they are 'Streamline' variety. My email is [email protected]. Anyway, good luck! :D
John N
iknownothing
KG Regular

oldherbacious

Just a thought re
If the soil comes in like subsoil, i would give in now. :wink:

how will i know the if it's subsoil? will it be obvious? see i said i know nothing! it didn't actually arrive today due to an error at the nursery they wrote it on friday's section of the diary !!!!!

thanks
:?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear iknownothing, i'm certain it won't be subsoil, this was just one of my many jokes. :wink:

But just to put your mind at rest, subsoil can come in many different types, but generally it will be either very clayey or very stoney or complete sand.

For a good topsoil you will be looking for something that is nice and crumbly, without any large lumps of solid soil in it.

John
KG Regular

- and it should be a rich dark colour. A simple test for a soil in good condition, provided its not too wet, is to pick up a handful and squeeze it. When you then poke it with your fingers it should fall apart into a nice crumbly mixture.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
iknownothing
KG Regular

thank you for all your advice, the soil arrived this morning and after much persauding my other half helped me fill the raised beds. I gave up on the children they were too busy with their social lives! The soil is not particularly dark but it is quite crumbly and a few lumps but they broke up easily. I've mixed in some compost on the parts where i'm going to grow root veg and some well rotted manure on the other parts. The proof of the pudding is in the eating they say so we'll just have to wait and see whether anything grows!!!!!!

anyway thanks again for all your advice I'm sure i'll be asking lots more questions over the coming months I hope you don't get fed up of me. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Iknownothing, you could now change your name to, Iknowalittle, know you have made a start. :)

Congratulations on what you have done so far.

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I am very happy tonight, we have just taken delivery of 120 feet of 1 inch thick, 6 inch deep oak planks to build my raised bed. Just £30 plus VAT! I am really happy with that bargain because I didn't have a price when we ordered the wood off the local 'boy's'. :D :D
Kind regards,

Elle
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Elle, that is exceptional value.

It never ceases to amaze me what a pretty face can achieve. :) :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic