Cucumbers - True or Old Wives Tale ?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I recently received the following, which is an extract about cucumbers from one of those Round Robin emails which circulates around the system.

"Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area."

Does anybody have any idea whether this is true or not? If it is, I may have found another use for all those cucumbers which end up going mushy in my fridge salad tray.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I tried that Primrose, it was not very effective, letting my ducks roam works better.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

If you find one cuc' is too much, then cut one in half and leave the other half on the plant untill needed. :o Cheers, Tony.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic