New fruit trees

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Vivien
KG Regular

I have just received my order of 4 new fruit trees from the Fruit & Veg Co. These are 2 apples, 1 mirabelle plum and an early Victoria. The catalogue said that they were feathered maidens, so I expected them to be a central trunk with a couple of laterals. 3 of them are, but the early vic is only the central whip. I rang them about this and was told by the plantsman that 'feathered maiden' is 'only a technical term' and that the trees supplied don't always have laterals. I asked if it would hold up development but he said not. I haven't bought new fruit trees before this year - am I being pedantic or is this okay? Advice much appreciated (before I plant it!).
Vivien :?
hilary

Hi,
I have just bought some apple trees and I went on line to Keepers Nursery and they explain all the terms and types of form. They say that some maidens don't have laterals either, in the end I bought from Thornhayes down in Devon who have a good website as well. May be worth looking at both, one of them had drawings of maidens etc and how to prune. Can't suggest anything else.
Sorry - perhaps someone else will help!
Hilary
Tigger
KG Regular

We set up an orchard 3 years ago, ordering from a well known tree nursery in Herefordshire and some of our trees arrived as you suggest - just whips. They have made the same growth as the others, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Vivien
KG Regular

Great - thanks guys. I must say that the trees seem to be good quality and the early vic is very sturdy, even without any laterals.
Thanks again for the help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic