Help!!!!! please

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lollylou
KG Regular

I have recently taken on a role for cookin for a rugby club, i could be cooking for 35-100 people depending on whos playing etc i know the numbers at last a week in hand but im struggling for ideas for what to cook for these men. wholesome grub is my top priority but stuff thats not too complex or that takes hours and hours and hours i can use the kitchen the afternoon beforehand so its a case of just heating it up the next day or i can start cooking early in the morning.
thanks

xxxxxxxx
peter
KG Regular

Good brave lass. :D

Rugby Clubs are still very traditional when it comes to match or training day meals and are happy with a high calorie load. :D
It really depends on the actual facilities in the kitchen, hopefully either a couple of ovens or a commercial sized one and a decent sized deep-fat fryer. Good sized frying pans and a number of oven trays as well as roasting trays.

Avoid the RFU advice about healthy low fat pasta dishes, if you're cooking for Mini's and Youth as they'll take the plate and discard it virtually untouched.

Our Chairmans advice to our Chef was to always go for traditional simple robust comfort food.
Best choice would be roast meat and roast potatoes, could be joints, or chicken, drumsticks/thighs/wings are an option for speed of serving, add frozen peas and gravy for a sit down job. A boneless beef/lamb/pork joint is very easy to serve provided you're happy with carving. All of this is reasonably flexible if it has to stay in the oven a bit longer than expected and a good gravy can help. :wink:

More work, but simple and reasonable on the pocket would be stuff like, Sausage and Mash, Stew with Dumplings, Beef and Mushroom Pie or Shepherds / Cottage Pie.

For grown-ups a meaty pasta dish is good.

If desserts are expected, again traditional simple stuff would be best, especially involving custard, such as Fruit Pie or Spotted Dick.
As an alternative fresh fruit salad, prepared the day before and refrigerated in LARGE containers, with the option of some pouring cream.

For Chairmans Dinner or formal pre-match lunches a cheeseboard might be worth a punt. Provided the booze flows for non-playing diners by the end they'd eat just about anything, or nothing. :wink:

For snack stuff stick with really simple stuff with frying pan or oven, Bacon and/or Egg rolls, Sausage and onion baugette, fresh Chips if you have a decent sized fryer, oven chips if no fryer. Decent ketchup and brown sauce rather then runny budget stuff though.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
lollylou
KG Regular

Thanks its all good i get to watch them play!!!!!! :D
Thanks for the tips its a bit daunting ive gotta cook for 90 of them of sat :? but going for the pasta bake i just wanted to do something a bit different thats all they dont have a fryer and basic cookin implements the kitchen is smallish but got a big oven/hob.
Victoria
KG Regular

My youngest son plays a lot of rugby, nearly all the food they get given is pasta.
peter
KG Regular

Victoria wrote:My youngest son plays a lot of rugby, nearly all the food they get given is pasta.

Ah, but how much of it do they eat? :wink:

Mine now plays for U16s and wants blue steak sanwiches. :roll:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tigger
KG Regular

We do a fair few cook-ins for hungry teenagers en mass.

Chilli and rice always goes down well, as do meatballs in tomato sauce with pasta. Curries, stews and paella are very acceptable. You can hide veg in them and they don't notice it. A big beef or chicken pie with pastry just on the top, to make it easier, with veg in it rather than separately served, is easy.

Homemade pizzas, especially if they can choose their toppings. Cheese and potato pie with a really good coleslaw - base it on Jamie O's recipe and it won't fail. Steak sandwiches and paninis are also favourites, providing you have the right equipment.

Toad in the hole with cabbage and onion gravy. All-in-one breakfast (bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes and eggs baked in a dish/tray), served with baked beans, is another winner.

You can always start with a good soup to take the edge off their hunger whilst you get on with the main meal. If you produce a blended soup, with first class bread, they won't question what's in it, especially if it's a cold day.

As for puddings - meringues, fruit and cream. A big tiramisu, pies/tarts and trifle. A cheeseboard for the grown-ups.
Tigger
KG Regular

Should have added - you would be wise to do your food handling course. It's only a day and will give you a time limited certificate. Handy if you find yourself facing an agry parent who thinks you're the cause of Billy's tummy ache.

It's a requirement if you're going to give out food, (beyond the domestic situation) even pre-prepared sandwiches, never mind doing any of the cooking!
Victoria
KG Regular

peter wrote:
Victoria wrote:My youngest son plays a lot of rugby, nearly all the food they get given is pasta.

Ah, but how much of it do they eat? :wink:

Mine now plays for U16s and wants blue steak sanwiches. :roll:

Well actually very little of it! didn't look very nice, masses of pasta with v small amount of some sort of sauce stirred in served on a small paper plate which immediately got soggy. I keep the slow cooker full of some sort of casserole which he scoffs when he gets home.
goldilox
KG Regular

How about good old meat and tattie pie with mushy peas. That's what I serve when we have a crowd and it always goes down well.
Stephie
KG Regular

I agree, opt for plenty of carbs and protein. Chicken in particular will be easiest for you to use and cook with, and will help the players to take bulked up.

Question: Do you order the food/ingredients yourself or is it supplied to you by the company you work for? If you are doing the order yourself, I seriously recommend using a wholesale supplier who can supply you with quality meat cheaply and in bulk. :D
armstrom
KG Regular

If you think they may be a slightly more adventurous lot, how about cooking a Thai chicken curry? It's so easy you wouldn't believe! You can buy pots of thai curry paste - get it from a chinese grocer rather than a supermarket who will really rip you off. You just boil up some coconut milk, add the paste to it, give it a stir then add your chicken peices. Once your chicken is almost cooked, add some vegetables like green beans, small mushrooms and baby sweetcorn. You could even throw in a few cherry tomatoes (and even if they have split this year in the rain). It's great stuff and served with rice it has plenty of protein and carbs. You could even do "mild" and "tasty" batches. It really is easy - just have to open quite a few tins of coconut milk :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic