Le Parfait jars

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Does anyone out there use Le Parfait jars for pickled onions or beetroot? Do you sterilise in boiling water/pressure cooker after filling as per Le Parfait's recommended method for general bottling? Or do you simply seal warm, previously sterilised jars with the clips without subsequent heating? I'm not sure that I really want to pressure cook my pickled onions or already cooked beetroot after bottling.
macmac
KG Regular

I don't use these particular jars but unlike when I make jam when I heat the jars, with pickled onions I just wash the jars and lids and dry them .I've been doing it this way for years and i'm still here :lol:
sanity is overrated
Victoria
KG Regular

I use Le Parfait jars and give them a good wash -dishwasher for preference - and that's their lot. I reckon the vinegar sees off most nasties!

I have recently bought some Kilner jars 1.8L with square lids and a clear seal and am going to use those for pickeld shallots and spiced peaches.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Fred,
I use LP's for beetroot. This is what I do. Fill as normal with sliced beetroot and hot vinegar and then sling them in the oven (top of the jar is open at this point) for around 3 hours at around 100C. When they come out top up the vinegar if needed and then seal them down.
If you have one you could use a thermometer in the jar to make sure of your temperature but it is not really necessary. The vinegar is the preserving method in use here and not the seal on the jar. Sealing beetroot is needed only to stop critters getting in and the juice getting out and making the kitchen look like you have been sacrificing goats. Been there, done that, and scared the neighbours!
Regards Sally Wright.
macmac
KG Regular

Yikes Sally when I used to pickle beetroot I just used to wash the jars :o should I be grateful I didn't kill anyone :shock:
sanity is overrated
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Macmac,
I just prefer the belt and braces approach as I use a mixture of vinegars and they are not as acidic as just malt on it's own. so I heat the jars.
regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic