downy mildew

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon
KG Regular

my onions from sets seem to have downy mildew. I have been given conflictng advice. some say lift them ASAP others say just bend the tops over and they will be OK . I am confused . anyone got the correct advice please
Regards Brenjon
John
KG Regular

Hello Brenjohn
Can you describe the symptoms for us? If it is a mildew-like appearance on the bulb with the bulb itself starting to rot you might have 'onion white rot'. I hope it isn't as this is a serious problem.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Brenjon
KG Regular

Hi John
Downy grey mould covers leaves tending to die from the ends
Bulbs look OK but admit i have not given them close inspection.
All the allotment holders near me seem to have it may be something to do with the muggy weather we have been having of late.
Regards brenjon
John
KG Regular

Hello again
I don't really know what to suggest. If your bulbs are quite sound then it probably is mildew. The problem with it seems to be that if it gets down the leaves into the bulb then the bulb obviously isn't going to keep. So if the leaves are badly affected I guess the thing to do would be to lift and dry off the bulbs as has been suggested. If it is not progressing then just bending the leaves over might save the crop as the bulb will have a bit more time to plump up.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic