planting in beds which suffered from an attack of blight

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

chicken4
KG Regular

The tomatos in the polytunnel were lost to blight so does that mean I can't plant in those beds this year.

I've tooped up the beds with min. of 4 inches of well rotted organic cows manure.

Should I plant the tomatoes in pots and growbags and would this also be the case for chiited spuds that are ready to be planted
Try to be organic, but finding it hard
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chicken4,
The host of blight mycelium is the potato not the tomato. If you cleared all the debris from last years plants I do not see any reason why you should not grow tomatoes in the soil. If you grew potatoes in the tunnel last year then so long as you do not use the same area they too should not suffer. Any volunteer potatoes from last year crop must be removed as soon as they become apparent if not sooner.
JB.
chicken4
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Chicken4,
The host of blight mycelium is the potato not the tomato. If you cleared all the debris from last years plants I do not see any reason why you should not grow tomatoes in the soil. If you grew potatoes in the tunnel last year then so long as you do not use the same area they too should not suffer. Any volunteer potatoes from last year crop must be removed as soon as they become apparent if not sooner.
JB.

sorry John, only just realised I'd not read your reply.

That's good news. Will make watering easier as i have set up several water pipes around the tunnel. As said I've put over 4 inches of manure on the beds that they were grew in last year and i was planning on growing the tomato's in a different area. Maybe i didn't need to do this but I will be digging a hole the size of a 10inch pot and will fill with grow bag soil. I hope that this will mean that I reduce the chances of blight hitting again.

Last year I did see a volunteer potato but for my sins didn't remove it so maybe that's what the problem was.
Try to be organic, but finding it hard
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic