solar powered fan

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

paul.r

I reckon a solar powered fan (or several) would be just the job for my greenhouse and tunnel.the more the sun shines the more the fan goes round? sounds too easy to me, anyone know of such a device? rgds paul.
richard p
KG Regular

yes u can get them to fit in conservatory roofs, if u put solar fan in google or even ebay u should get somewhere.
BillW

My greenhouse has a wax filled cylinder that pushes open a hatch when the temp heats up. It has a screw adjustment, so you adjust it to your preference.
p.r.

alledgedly, on the latest two west & elliot mailshot there is like magic the aformentioned article (about £60) only trouble is i cant find it on the website yet. (& would still like a cheaper one)
Allan
KG Regular

Don't waste money on a solar powered fan, they just haven't the guts to do a proper job.
From one who bought one. Generally, all these cheap solar gadgets are not worth buying, they exploit people's urge to think they are getting a bargain.
Allan
Diva
KG Regular

Hi Paul,

You could try rigging up something yourself. They make small (very small) solar power fan kits in Maplins. I picked one up myself for around £5 and use it on my desk at work. I've also made up some larger foam blades as a bit of an experiment and it's not too bad.

My suggestion would be to get hold of the solar cells and a motor and make them yourself. Opitec also do a selection of solar power items including a small water pump! www.opitec.co.uk. They're a creative hobby company based in germany but I'd advise you to order a catalogue as their website isn't the easiest to navigate!
Diva

I think, therefore I am.
I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

try getting in touch with the C.A.T centre in wales,there on the web and im sure they would help.
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Allan
KG Regular

I bought 3 solar fountains with 12 volt panels in succession, approx £100 each.
The pumps didn't work effectively for a second season and I used the panels for battery charging, then I found all of them have gone dead. It's an expensive experiment like that.
I had to have solar elecricity so bought 2 new ones of a more reputable make, so far they work well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic