Planting Garlic

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

GIB
KG Regular

Hi

My Solent White and German Red garlic cloves have only just arrived today. It says they should be planted from October to December. Is it still ok plant them now or is it too late?

thanks
Colin_M
KG Regular

No, it's not too late though they might end up a little smaller than if you'd got them in last Autumn.

If the destination soil is frozen solid or waterlogged (depending on yuor weather) and preventing you planting straight out, you could start them off in seed trays of compost. This should be done outside, but I'd make sure they don't get waterlogged if you don't have a greenhouse.

I had to do the same this year and was amazed how quickly they get going. Normally you might see the tiny shoots just thinking about coming out before Xmas, then not much more till the spring. All of mine had grown a good inch of so of root within 2 weeks of going into compost (in an unheated greenhouse). You don't normally get to see this when they're in the ground.

Hopefully, provided you transplant them carefully into prepared holes, you should be ok. I'll let you know how mine do in case anyone else is interested in this approach.
GIB
KG Regular

Hi Colin

Thanks very much for your reply, i'm glad that i have still time to get them in. I'll do as yuo say and plant them in some compost in the greenhouse to give them a good start. I'll let you know how i get on.

Graham
Monika
KG Regular

It's not too late, GIB. The bulk of my garlic were planted outside in October but just in case some have succumbed during the winter, I have recently planted some garlic Solent White in roottrainers in an unheated greeenhouse. When they have a good root system (which is easy to check in roottrainers) I shall plant them outside.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi GIB,
I do not grown Autumn sown Garlic as it is not suited to my climatic conditions but I always plant my Spring sown Garlic in 7cm square pots and do not plant out until they are about 4" high or according to the weather as in pots the planting can be left for several weeks to suit you.
Certainly if you sow your Autumn sown Garlic in pots now under cover either greenhouse, tunnel, cold frame or even a simple polythene cloche I feel sure that they will catch up. When they have filled the pot and you get a root show from the bottom then plant them out.
JB.
GIB
KG Regular

Thanks everyone, this is good news and what i was hoping to hear! I'll be potting them upthis weekend.

Graham
Colin_M
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi GIB,
I always plant my Spring sown Garlic in 7cm square pots and do not plant out until they are about 4" high

Hi JB, when you transplant yours, do they have much of a rootball on them? I was amazed at the root growth & how quickly it started on the ones I tried last autumn. Wouldn't have seen it normally if I'd put them straight in the ground.

I've also done the same with some Eschalote Grise which I'm trying for the first time.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
Yes they do put on root very rapidly once they get going. I have found that they don't seem to mind to much being a bit pot bound. I have found this to be the same with Leeks that are module sown.
JB.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Hi GIB,

Solent Wight is a relatively late garlic and is actually recommended for planting in early spring. This year i have decided to plant them at the end of January, together with my second sowing of Elephant garlic, which is also recommended for spring planting. However, my instinct is to go with those who claim you get a better crop from autumn sowing.
mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
snooky
KG Regular

I have always planted my garlic in Autumn because I"ve been told that they need a spell of cold weather to make them split into cloves;and they have certainly had that the past few weeks!
I buy Purple and Solent Wight,Blanak and German Red from Dobies, and are doing well again this year without protection.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
garden_serf
KG Regular

Planted Lautrec Wight and Wight Cristo back in October, outside in a raised bed, no protection. All looking good.
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I put some elephant garlic and solent wight in today. The garlic I sowed in late October is just beginning to show. This is often the case with me. and they all grow well afterwards, so i have learned to be patient. The elephant garlic I put in in October has yet to show itself, but that was more or less the case last year too.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
GIB
KG Regular

Hi everyone

it's really interesting to the different ways in which people are planting their garlic.

As suggested by Colin & Johnboy i have planted half of it in pots and put in the greenhouse and the rest i planted directly outside and put a cloche over them - it will be interesting to see if there are any differences between the two.

Graham
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi GIB,
A very good idea. It is only by experimenting that you gain gardening knowledge. Always best to write your findings down because the memory always plays tricks on you. I will await a report of your findings.
JB.
garden_serf
KG Regular

Yes JB I agree!
I find it quite fascinating to look back over my notes, 'plans and actuals'.
The main help I get from it is organising my companion planting choices.
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic