Types of Rice

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

Has anyone tried different types of rice? I bought some Ermes Red Rice from M&S months ago and it sat in my cupboard for quite some time until one day I found I had run out of my usual basmati rice so I used this with my veggie curry. It was absolutely fabulous really quite meaty and filling. So I bought some more and also bought some Artemide Black Rice, tonight we have had that, again fabulous very filling and very tasty. I can highly recommend them. I posted a couple of veggie recipes which we use with these rice dishes.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Don't know about Artemide, but we have some black rice (sold by Essential) that is very tasty. One side effect is that it turned the water it's in a dark colour whilst cooking. I sometimes combine different types of rice (Eg. add some Wild rice to a pan of brown rice). The black rice turned my other rice very dark! This probably doesn't apply to all varieties though.

Red rice is sold in many places as Camargue rice - good stuff.

However give me Arborio rice - I could probably live off Paella!
Edible
KG Regular

I once had a black rice pudding at a restaurant in Bath and it was soo delicious!
Catherine
KG Regular

Gosh Edible are you reading all the postings as this one is two years old. :shock: :lol: M&S dont sell the black rice anymore!! :cry:
Edible
KG Regular

Haha Catherine I didn't even notice that! Bit bored at the moment I must admit.

I am trying to give up pasta so I am a bit obsessed with replacements, rice, quinoa etc!
Last edited by Edible on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primrose
KG Regular

We often use brown rice (we call it "wholemeal" !) and it's delicious with its chewy nutty flavour & texture, although it does take longer (about 30 minutes) to cook than the basmati white rice.

We also occasionally use wild rice (looks like a thin spikey black weed seed) which is also delicious when mixed in with other types of rice to add a slightly different texture.
Edible
KG Regular

oooh i love brown rice, i only eat that, unless the odd takeaway Indian in which case its pilau! ooh i fancy some pilau rice now. yum...!
Last edited by Edible on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin_M
KG Regular

We were recently put onto par-boiled rice.

This isn't the Uncle Ben boil in the bag type. Apparently there are several varieties used in India. The Rosematta one we tried was delicious, but might take a bit of finding.

There's some background here
Edible
KG Regular

That sounds a bit complicated! i think the only reason i find rice a pain, is the long cooking time. I wouldve thought parboiled would help speed things up but evidently not eh?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

There are other grains too, I recently tried Kamut grain from our local supermarket, which is the old egyptian wheat, taller than modern wheats more drought resistant and much higher in protein.

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/about/types- ... mut-grain/

Was thinking of tryng Amaranth next year too.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The Co-op's organic brown rice is lovely - good flavour and nice plump grains. I tried some quick cook brown rice recently and it was horrible. Much better to spend a few more minutes cooking the real thing.

A good place to get different kinds of rice is a Chinese supermarket. I've just got a bag of black rice mixed grain which looks tasty and has black rice, brown rice, whole wheat and buckwheat.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Picked up a bag of "Gourmet Merchant" (I think) black, brown, red and white rice. Very very tasty, now we cannot remember where we got it and cannot find a stockist!

Typical. . :roll: . Cheers, Tony.
Primrose
KG Regular

We often eat a mixture of brown rice and wild rice which has a very nice texture and is quite filling when eaten with curries, etc. . They both need about 25 minutes to cook. The other rice we tried recently is Black Thai Sticky Rice, which is a black pudding rice which has to be soaked for 24 hours before use (and you need to soak it in a glass bowl rather rather anything white or ceramic because the rice will stain it). It's quite a chewy rice to eat when cooked and each little grain gives a 'pop' as you chew i - it's quite different from the normal type of pudding rice.
adam-alexander
KG Regular

Kleftiwallah wrote:Picked up a bag of "Gourmet Merchant" (I think) black, brown, red and white rice. Very very tasty, now we cannot remember where we got it and cannot find a stockist!

Typical. . :roll: . Cheers, Tony.

Have a look at this link, Merchant Gourmet will no doubt be able to advise the nearest stockist or you could order online

http://www.merchant-gourmet.com/

a-a
Catherine
KG Regular

I was suprised to get another email regarding my posting on types of rice which I first put up in 2009.

Has anyone tried Orzo pasta. I know its not rice but it makes a very nice mushroom risotto recipe in Hugh FW Vegetarian cookery book. Absolutely delish and very quick and easy to make.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic