Productive plants for a dry bank?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

garden_serf
KG Regular

I have a very dry slightly sloping bank area that is available for use at the bottom of my garden. I have gradually been improving the soil, but the deepest/underneath part of it is a 3-4ft layer of 2 year old cut logs and branches, covered with soil. Thus it is drains very well and is dry. The top 1 foot is good soil and I plan to add more on top soon.
I would like to make it productive in some way. Any ideas?
So far, my best option I have come up with is moving my raspberries as they are taking over their current :lol: location.
Small problem: anything planted there gets covered in pigeon poo! A wire runs overhead parallel with the bank and the pigeons sit there waiting for my neighbour to feed them 5 times a day. (I counted 65 of them on the wire one day!!!)
The area is approx 3.5m long by 2m wide.
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
garden_serf
KG Regular

Since I mentioned the pigeons here they are for you to see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garden_serf/3158689573/
Unfortunately the wire, at the RHS of the photo, is also directly overhead my greenhouse. Cleaning off the pigeon mess it is a frequent job. Note: I did not locate the greenhouse there, it was already there when we bought it 2 1/2 years ago.
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
Gerry
KG Regular

Dear Garden_serf,

I have no idea for the dry bank but James Martin has a good recipe for pigeon.

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/food

Regards, Gerry.
Tigger
KG Regular

Just the mention of his name.......... :D
Gerry
KG Regular

Tigger, you don't miss much, do you.
Geoff
KG Regular

How about clumps of wild, or nearly wild, blackberries? You could develop say three mounds of them and cut one down to the ground every year to keep them fresh and productive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear garden_serf, since the tops of what ever you are going to grow there are going to get covered in pigeon droppings, what about growing a perenial root crop.
Maybe somethig like Jerusalem Artichokes , Horseradish, or if the soil isn't too bad, maybe Asparagus.The last would be fairly easy to wash before use.

Another alternative could be a green manure to add to the compost heap, maybe Comfrey would work well.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
garden_serf
KG Regular

Thankyou all, for the suggestions..very helpful.
My horseradish has a designated area (constrained).
I tried Jerusalem Artichokes on my husband and various vegetarian guests (I part steamed them then we dipped them into a cheese fondue, yummm!). Unfortunately they caused a nasty 'trouser cough' problem with my h, so he is not too keen on them anymore. I love their nutty flavour.
I like the ideas for green manures, I grow grow rye grasses in my beds in winter for that purpose, and turn them 3 weeks prior to planting.
How tall does Comfrey grow? I have never grown it.
So far I have a successful thick covering of Oregano and Marjoram, with a Medlar tree at one end and a Fig tree at the other end.
I am looking to create a growing barrier of some sort (I should have mentioned that!). Geoff the Blackberry idea is a good one, ta.
So now I have decided to put half my raspberries there, with a fine mesh cover over the top of the frame to catch the pigeon poo.
I will work on the pigeons :evil: Thanks for the recipe idea!!!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear garden_serf, Comfrey grows to between 2 and 3 feet tall.
Bocking 14 is the variety you need to grow.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Don't forget raspberries are shallow rooting and don't like their roots to dry out, so they may not be happy there. The mediterranean herbs should all love it, and I've visions of James Martin lounging in the sunshine among the herbs.
garden_serf
KG Regular

The bank has a good layer of soil on the top and I am constantly adding more. Under that it has very good drainage (well collapsed logs and branches covered in soil). It started as a place to leave logs & branches to encourage wildlife and it worked. The underbank, viewed from the lower side is teeming with life. I have seen sloworms, frogs and a bit fat hedgehog near there.
I note the point about raspberries not liking drying out and being very shallow rooted. I have compost to add before I move them and will mulch heavily with bark once they are through (Autumn Bliss). I also have a rainwater supply nearby.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic