Horseradish

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

goldilox
KG Regular

A friend of mine has grown horseradish this year but has no idea when to dig it up. Anyone know?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I just dig some up when I want to use it, I don't know if there is a special time to do it, but the plants are fine with this treatment.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Goldilox,
I hope that the following may be of some use to you.

NON INVASIVE METHOD OF GROWING HORSERADISH

Plant your individual Thongs 2’ (60cm) apart and allow to establish the first year.
At the end of the first season clear all plant debris and weeds from the area and build a box 12”x12”x12” (30x30x30cm) with no top or bottom. Place the box over the crown centrally and insert 2-3” (50-75mm) of compost over the crown and top the rest of the box up with sharp sand. You will need a box for every thong.
The following Spring the Horseradish will send up several heads and these are new thongs. At the end of the season when the plant is dying back remove the box and pick ALL the thongs from the crown. You must pick all the thongs irrespectively if you want them all or not or the system breaks down. When you have you young succulent thongs simply repeat the system again Box over the crown, compost and sharp sand.
If you need Horseradish urgently during the growing season it is possible to unearth a thong and take as much as you need.
NEVER allow Horseradish to flower and at the first sign of inflorescent cut them from the plant. DO NOT dispose of on the compost heap always burn them.
DO NOT dispose of unwanted surplus thongs on the compost heap either pass on to another gardener explaining the method or destroy. Suggest you allow drying out and burning them.
In the unlikely event of growth outside the box if you have it centrally positioned simply keep hoeing it down and deal with the source at the end of the season when harvesting.
When processing Horseradish remember to do so in an unconfined area and be aware that it will affect your eyes at about the strength Onions x 10! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

JB.
goldilox
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy, I'll pass that on. Good advice about eye irritation - they'll have to wear goggles :)
Bonviveur
KG Regular

Hi Goldilox. I think you're after the same info as me. Can one just dig up a small piece when you need it? We only make horseradish sauce every-so-often, so we don't really want to dig up the entire plant. Any ideas anyone?
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Bonviveur wrote:Can one just dig up a small piece when you need it? ... Any ideas anyone?

S'right.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic