Snow

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

FredFromOssett
KG Regular

2 to3 inches - sorry, 5 to 8 cm - of snow on the ground; and, yippee, my plot looks as good as anyone else's now!
Westi
KG Regular

Know what you mean but not going down to Lottie to confirm it! We probably have about an inch here but stopped now and seems to be melting already. Fortunately went down yesterday and covered up some of the littlies so hopefully they are OK. It was so cold though I didn't stay long.
We don't get much snow around here and I used to panic and go down to check when it did snow and it is levelling making all the plots look agical. Still amazes me that the plants survive it but I am constantly surprised by the tenacity of some plants - especially the weeds!

Westi
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Deep and crisp and even in the chilly Chilterns.
No, I have no plans to go to the allotment.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

About five inches here and it has finally stopped snowing so am out (again!) to clear a patch of ground so the birds can feed.
alan refail
KG Regular

Here the sun is shining, and the light dusting of snow was like a sprinkling of icing sugar on a tray of mine pies.

Hope those of you in the East and South-east come through OK.

Alan
Smurfy
KG Regular

Very heavy snow here, it's been snowing on and off all day and now we've got about 12cm. It's also yet to get above freezing so all the snow is staying and building onto the previous layer.
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Stephen
KG Regular

Alan
Thanks but if people are sensible and make some effort when effort is needed then things will be fine.
Because the SE gets so little we don't gear up for it, it becomes difficult to cope.
I think also now so many of us have smaller houses (and stuff them with electronics) we can not keep those items which are only used once every three years (and then only for a couple of days). Anything stored in a hired space will not really be accessible.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Mixture of sunshine and snow showers here. So far the main roads have been kept clear, but the forecast is for more heavy snow overnight. I brought the chitting potatoes in from the cold greenhouse overnight, but the snow on the greenhouse roof should keep it fairly insulated, so I'll keep them out there tonight and wrap the trays up in bubble plastic and newspapers.

Stephen, you write that you don't get so much snow in the southeast, but about 50 years ago I lived on the East Sussex/Kent border for some years and we had some huge snowfalls. Luckily for us then, the traffic was much lighter and we walked to all he local amenities like shops, schools etc. so the snow didn't seem to matter so much!

Good luck to all those under a deep snow cover!
AnneThomas
KG Regular

No snow here in S E Cornwall so far :( But it is :!: :!: cold to say the least although beautiful clear skies with bright sunshine. Thankfully it was dry yesterday and overnight so no frost this morning - any standing water was frozen solid though.

Sounds like we might get some this evening or overnight but it won't be anywhere near as bad as everyone else.

Keep safe and keep warm everyone :)
retropants
KG Regular

we've had about 10 inches with more to come, it is chaos to say the least. i did a short day today at work, although the majority did not make it in. It's brass monkeys out there! :lol:
bicci
KG Regular

We have 12inches, we went out and measured it.
Neither of us had a hope of getting to work, so have
taken photos and cleared the pond, watched children
making snowmen.Walked to Tesco, self service tills open,
not many staff made it in.School at the end of our garden
is shut, as is the little supermarket round the corner.
Not sure if we will get to work tomorrow, I'm self employed
so I'm not skiving! :?
AnneThomas
KG Regular

12" - apart from the chaos how exciting! I'm a little jealous :mrgreen: although being self-employed too I shall be hoping there isn't any tomorrow to stop me getting to work.

We used to get at least that amount regularly in the north east and still got to work every day, even though it was 12 miles away. By the time we moved to Cornwall in 1995 we were't getting anywhere near as much snow in the north east - most of it had moved south east.
Elaine
KG Regular

Here in Hull we woke up to a couple of inches of snow and it's been snowing on and off til this afternoon. it's just powdery stuff coming ddown now but more is forecast. We also had thunder and lightening. wierd! Idon't like snow--as far as I'm concerned it belongs on Christmas cards only! :roll:
Regards Elaine
Happy with my lot
Tigger
KG Regular

We love it. Had about 6 inches between last evening and this afternoon. Expecting more overnight. I didn't go to work today so lost a day's annual leave. As Lyn works for himself and his workshop is just a few steps from the house, he has no excuse!
Compo
KG Regular

We were promised not a lot here but have two inches or more tonight and still falling so this is a lot for around here, lived here for 8 years and not seen as much as an inch or less...............my son has not seen it at all, he is 13, so we might get up to the hills at the weekend and sledge but i bet it will be gone................all part of the normal weather cycle if u ask me, it used to snow a lot like this in days gone by..........but did not have the instant media coverage it has now. To give it a cost in commercial terms is poppycock, this must be a no news day.

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic