Bird flu

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sue
KG Regular

Given the hysteria about this at present, I'd be interested to hear what everyone else is doing.

I've got 7 bantams with a small house in a totally enclosed run covered with small mesh chicken wire. The roof is covered with corrugated PVC sheets. No wild birds can get in and the run is safe from contamination from droppings from overhead, so I think they are OK.

Just had hassle off the bonkers next door neighbour who has the world's collection of manky town pigeons camped in her garden because she feeds the bloody things. I've told here she is at far more risk from them so the OH will shoot them if she likes :twisted: Shut her up for now, but I'm sure she will be back.

Sue
sandersj89
KG Moderator

My girls are still free ranging half of the day at the moment but their run has weld mesh sides and roof so no birds can get into their run.

I also have covered the run with ridged plastic sheets so nothing can drop into the run.

In our lane I know there are 3 other people with hens, not sure what they are doing. At least my neighbour also has hens so we have no problems with them worrying about our hens being a health risk.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Loz
KG Regular

Hi Sue

I'm doing nothing different. If AI comes to Britain then I will deal with it then. Life's too short to worry about what ifs, and I intend to enjoy my birds for what they are, a productive hobby

Loz
Too much to do and not enough time! See my hoard on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
Diane
KG Regular

I have three hens in the back garden too. They are in a run with small weldmesh sides to stop any wild birds hopping through and weldmesh on the top with a partially covered area. We have prepared the plastic panels to fit onto the roof of the run, if there is an edict from on high that says they should be covered immediately, but at the moment they are uncovered (apart from the weldmesh). Their food and water is under cover to avoid any contamination - which is what most sensible chicken keepers do anyway. In view of the fact that bird flu is not airborne and is only carried on droppings - I think that the media has stirred up this event in a most irresponsible way.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Your run sounds very like mine, is it a Grosvenor by any chance?

This is mine:

peterf
KG Regular

nice run that,i bet they cost a packet. :shock:
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Not too bad if you shop around. Very easy to clean and solid so will last a good time and I prefer them compared to the arcs and eggloo things.

I have made a few adjustments such as adding wheels and covering the base with chicken wire.

Very pleased with it.

Jerry

John
KG Regular

Hi Sue
I'm with Loz on this. My flock of 20 wander around happily at the bottom of the garden unaware of whats happening on the continent. If and when AI arrives I imagine DEFRA will cull everything that they can lay their hands on and burn it as they haven't got themselves into any ready state to do anything else.
DEFRA's track record in dealing with this sort thing, such as BSE and foot and mouth, doesn't give me any confidence that they'll be able to deal with the situation.

John
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Jerry

That's a fab chicken house you have there.

We're wanting to keep chickens on the lottie but are having no luck with the rules at all. Mind you, with the amount of break ins we have the hens probably wouldn't be safe.

As for bird flu I don't understand why all bird imports haven't been stopped. Remember the French and BSE? As usual, the system is doing bugger all and it's the farmers that'll pay the price. As usual, the countryside of this country let down by the cretins who are supposed to have the farmers best interests at heart. A bunch who, from what i've seen on the news and read, couldn't organise a cock up in a brothel.
Lots of love

Lizzie
lizzie
KG Regular

Sorry Jerry, went off on one there.

Is there just the 3 chickens in there? Do you move the run around the garden or does it stay in one place? How many eggs do you get or does it vary? Do they need much contact with the vet and if so, how much?

Sorry for the questions but it's something i'm interested in. If we are eventually allowed to keep them on the lottie, this sort of info is something to take into consideration before I go for it and get the chucks. I'd only keep them if I could afford to give them the best of care and attention.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

I'm with Loz an John on this. We have 5 hens and they they are genuinely free range - not cooped up in a large cage - inevitably wild birds share their space. There is no need to panic. If avian 'flu becomes a probem here we will deal with it. Right now it isn't a problem in the UK and our hens will continue to range free.
Chris
Johnboy
KG Regular

Would you beleive the Local Authority are on the snoop around here. My mate keeps 60 hens and sells eggs and was told by the LA that he must register.
He said 'come back tomorrow' and he culled his oldest birds overnight. I would have told the LA to
pi$$ off. Around here the LA seem as though they want know if you sneeze! Example: when I felled a number of Leylandii's that I had planted 30 years ago I was told that I should have applied for a licence.
I was told that I had made a significant alteration to the landscape. I told him to go away and not bother me and he threatened me with a £1000.00 fine.
He hasn't beeen back and that is now over a year ago.
My only thought with Avian Flu is that I feel preparations to put them under cover IF and when it arrives.
JB.
John
KG Regular

Hello Johnboy
I had always thought that leylandii were considered to be hedge material and so you could cut them down whenever you wanted to - maybe I'm wrong?

John
sandersj89
KG Moderator

lizzie wrote:Is there just the 3 chickens in there? Do you move the run around the garden or does it stay in one place? How many eggs do you get or does it vary? Do they need much contact with the vet and if so, how much?

Lizzie

Yes, just the three hens in the house, it would take a couple more if we wanted or 6 to 8 bantams as they are smaller.

The run stays in the garden 12 months a year. In the spring/summer/autumn it is on the lawn. I move it daily and do sweep up the droppings from time to time.

In the winter the run is moved to the patio and stays put. I line the run with a few inches of wood chip for them to root around in. Do not use chipped bark as this goes mouldy.

All year around they get let out mid morning to range around the garden/field next door. I have my beds fenced off with green wire about 18" tall and this seems to stop them trashing the beds. (Their wings are clipped to stop them flying). But as they have the field to raom around in they spend a lot of time out there.

Egg production will vary with breeds, individual and age. My hens are hybrids so will give approx 320 eggs each in their first season, this will drop in the next season but they should lay for at least 7 years. One of my girls has not missed a day since she started, lovely large white eggs. Another is a bit poor and averages only 2 or 3 a week if we are lucky. They do also lay less in the winter as day length is one of the triggers to egg production. Also if they go broody they will stop laying for a few weeks. Hybrids are less prone to broodyness though.

As for vets, well we have not needed to use a vet at all yet. I do worm them myself and make sure they are treated for mites if needed. Problems may include things like prolapse, egg bound, maereks, bumble foot and black leg but if you give your girls a good diet and keep them clean and happy you should not get too many problems.

The most dangerous problem is Mr Fox, expecially so in towns these days.

All in all I love having them around and love the eggs, they taste fantastic but they do not work out as a sound financial move if you include the cost of the housing. But I would not be without them now.

HTH

Jerry

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi John,
Bit past a hedge most of them were well over 40ft.
They were planted as a windbreak and there was over 100 of them. BUT I planted then so I feel that it should be at my bidding as to what happens to them.
Nothing would grow 30 ft either side of them so they had to go.
Note to Piglet.
Leylandii do not produce compost that is particularly acidic and the pile rotting away nicely have a PH of 6.5. Of course they had been growing into limestone and whether that makes a difference I know not.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic