How to fill a space

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Granny
KG Regular

This year I've got enough cleared ground to have an empty space where my potatoes have been, where the onions and garlic have been, and shortly where the broad beans have been. Any ideas what I should grow there? I'm thinking of green manures but not sure which is the best sort to try. Any advice welcome.
----------------
Granny
Geoff
KG Regular

I always follow early potatoes with leeks, planning to plant today - I only want leeks as a winter vegetable. I had some mangetout in root trainers ready to go in when I cleared the garlic and some plants of celery leaves (for winter soups) in pots that have gone in after the Japanese onions. I don't usually follow broad beans with anything, just cut them down and leave the roots to rot where they are, but I do have some perpetual spinach in pots that I need a home for. I'm not a fan of green manure, unless you use a legume I don't think it adds anything other than work as long as your soil is reasonable. People claim it adds trace elements but how can it if they are not there in the first place?
penny
KG Regular

Hi,
I am going to try moving my squashes,courgettes etc out of their growbags which they seem to hate (som-one insisted I have them when I had no more space!!). Also am going to try strawbery popcorn for fun and some phacelia for the bees. Who knows it's my first year so it's all an experiment!
Penny
So far the only thing that's green on my allotment is me.
Monika
KG Regular

Hello Granny, I follow the potatoes with green manure every year, usually with ryegrass and winter tares, but last year I grew phacelia and was surprised how well it stood in the winter. I dug the phacelia in before it flowered this spring but two plants 'escaped' and have provided a lovely display of flowers lately.
I don't know how you are off for wildlife on your plot but I have learnt by bitter experience that the green manures have to be netted (as most of our edible crops) because pheasants, partridges and jackdaws will clear the seeds and young plants if they are not protected.
Angi
KG Regular

Geoff, I think the point of non-leguminous green manures is to add some humus to your soil. I agree that on good soil this may seem superfluous, but on poor soils they bulk it up and aid the retention of water in subsequent years as well as encouraging worms etc to inhabit the soil.
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies. I've put leeks after early potatoes as well, and some space will be needed for overwintering onions and garlic. I think I'll try winter tares, ryegrass and phacelia on different patches and see how I get on.
----------------
Granny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic