temporary 'greenhouse' / mini tunnel

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

yummyveggies
KG Regular

Has anyone any experience of these ... I can only describe it as hoops of metal tubing with tubing running round the base and a stretched thick plastic cover that is 'reinforced' with string squares ... almost like a mini poly tunnel.
My thoughts were to use it as a movable tunnel so I wouldn't get pest build up and have to replace soil etc.
It is about 6 feet or so tall ( so I can stand up in it) 5 feet wide and 8 feet or so long ..... thought it would be good for toms and peppers .... a little extra protection but not heated ....
So should I basically take direction on 'what is happening in the tunnel and use that as guidance for when to sow / plant out etc....

Thanks for your advice ! regards Sarah
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Sarah,

The problem with these is that they don't really last very long. The plastic tends to rot away in the sun cos it's too thin, or they get ripped in high wind etc. Obviously, depends on what you pay for it.

It's much better to invest in a greenhouse, plastic or glass. These can be picked up 2nd hand very cheaply, even for free if you keep your eye out.

Personally, I wouldn't bother unless you have a really sheltered site to put it. Would do as a temporary measure but you may only get 12 months or so out of it.

Hope this is of some help to you
Lots of love

Lizzie
Compo
KG Regular

An allotment neighbour has just made one out of surplus blue plastic water pipe hoops which are placed over metal spikes in the ground (concrete reinforcing rods) he then uses the membrane polythene for concrete floors held down with rope. Easy to dismantle and the poly is rolled back to access the ground. I have also made some simple cloches from cheap corrugated clear plastic using coathanger wire to hold it together when u bend it in half. All a lot cheaper than ready made options.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I have used a couple of the plastic greenhouses, Guardman are one of the makers.

Both my frames are now over 5 years old but I have had to buy a set of replacement covers as they only last about 3 or 4 seasons. I do dismantle them for the winter to store under cover.

I find them very good and have grown peppers, tomatoes, chillies, aubergines, early spuds, etc in them.

Ventilation is the only real problem, they can get very very hot in full sun and there is no way to automatically ventilate them.

Site them in a sheltered spot if you can and use longer pins than supplied to hold the cover down. I also add bricks around the base to further weigh it down.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sarah you said that the greenhouse was tall enough at six foot. But will it be wide enough for you to get in at only five feet.

Kind regards a very cheeky old herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

I should tread very carefully OH, you don't know where Sarah lives and could have a nasty suprise one day... :twisted:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Chantal when you get to my age any surprise is better than no surprise.

Kind regards Old herbaceous.

God is good but the devil isn't a miss.
Diva
KG Regular

yummyveggies wrote:Has anyone any experience of these ... I can only describe it as hoops of metal tubing with tubing running round the base and a stretched thick plastic cover that is 'reinforced' with string squares ... almost like a mini poly tunnel.

Yummy, I'm intrigued? Where did you get it? I think I want one!
Diva

I think, therefore I am.
I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
Tigger
KG Regular

Both Aldi and Lidl have had 'temporary' greenhouses recently, small and big ones. There might be some left (there were last Saturday in Telford) and they're a very good price. If not, all og the DIY places have something similar but a little more expensive and most garden centres have them but not at a bargain price!
Diva
KG Regular

Thanks Tigger.

Unfortunately the Lidl's and Aldi's here didn't have them. The 'specials' are sometimes regional.

I've found a 'temporary'type polytunnel from a place called the Cyber Checkout in Stevenage (Hertfordshire) http://www.cybercheckout.com but it's £65 and I'm not sure if it's up to the job. I've had a look at various 'Build your own polytunnel' websites and have decided to have a go myself :shock:

I'll let you know how I get on. :wink:
Diva

I think, therefore I am.
I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
yummyveggies
KG Regular

thank-you for all your replies ... I did buy one for just over £30 ( our local garden centre is closing down ... so got a 35% discount)
So for that I thought it wasn't bad....

I will have to watch my spud intake if I am going to be able to fit inside eh old herbaceous !!
I am S Wales/ Herefordshire borders / Black Mts way ..... watch out for the 4foot 5 wide person squeezing into her temp greenhouse !!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic