Patio Growing....

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

IanNW
KG Regular

Quick Intro first..

Started to grow some of my own soft fruits and herbs for the first time this year.

First lot bought as young plants and second lot grown from seed in small plastic propagators.

Young plants are Tumbling Toms, Strawberry plants X 6 (got another 6 started from these as well) Blackcurrants, Rhubarb.

Strawbs are growing in Trough style planters.
Rhubarb in a bin cut in half.
Tumbling toms in hanging baskets.
blackcurrant in 16" clay pot.

Grown from seed is Thyme, Sweet Basil, Mint, coriander, Chilli, and peppers.

These will be transplanted into 24" X 6" troughs in about 1 weeks time.

I'v enjoyed growing these items, as have my daughters who are 6 and 2.
Eldest enjoys the daily watering and talks to the plants each night.

What is suitable to grow after these items through the winter?

Wife is considering buying me a small greenhouse for my 30th Birthday, and also looking at getting a small wormery.

I need a bigger garden for what i would like to do.....but well thats life.
No allotments exist in my Town.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good evening IanNW and a very warm welcome to the forum.
I'm glad to hear that you and your family are getting so much enjoyment out of growing things.

I think unless you have two seperate lots of tubs, one for summer and one for winter, that you will have your tubs full when you need to be planting the next things in them.

I have to say, i can't think of a nicer 30th birthday present than a greenhouse, it opens up a whole new world.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
David
KG Regular

I just saw this and hope you get my reply.

If you are clever and have a bit of space say on a patio you can make a bed with old boards as sides and grow almost anything, you prob only need @ 6" depth.

Otherwise get some of thos collapsible plastic crates (£2.50) round here, line the side with cardboard and fill with compost out of grow bags (£1).

Then again you can grow everything from carrots to cabbages. Dwarf green beans work very well and the kids will enjoy picking them.

In both these methods because they act like mini raised beds and the compost is rich you can pack things in closer than you otherwise would getting more bang for your buck.

Enjoy and come back if you have questions.

David
Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids.
Monika
KG Regular

My youngest daughter who lives with her family in the very warm Rhine Valley has a lovely big sunny patio and has grown tomatoes in large pots for the first time this year. They started ripening about three weeks ago (my plants in the greenhouse here in the Yorkshire Dales are only just flowering!) and they would like to grow some more vegetables next year. Can anybody suggest a book I might send her which covers growing vegetables in containers?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic