Okra

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Anyone know about okra?

I got some seeds in a swap and I've never grown it before, so don'y know what to expect. I've got 6 seedlings growing in pots ready to plant out but two of them have sent up quite long, about 20cm, tendrils, that look like they want to climb. Are these things climbers? I was expecting them to grow like an aubergine or physalis, maybe a meter high or so but these things are taking off and look a bit scary.

Has anyone grown okra before and could they tell me what to expect from them.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi CJ

Nice to see you back.

I've only once grown okra, with limited success!

I did get plants about a metre high and some fruit. You will definitely do better in S France than I did years ago in Yorkshire.

However, it doesn't sound to me that what you are growing is okra. It is a mallow family and should grow upright and branching. It is definitely not a climber and does not have tendrils. Though if it grows as high as this you may need to climb to harvest it :!:

Some Australian information here so you'll have to move any dates by 6 months.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Hi Alan
Many thanks great info there. Can always trust you to come up with top info and bonkers pics. I hope it doesn't grow that tall I've just planted 3 out in front of the cherry tomatoes - :shock:

The leaves look about right but the tops of three have turned into tendrils and are off looking for something to climb :?:

I'll take some pics & post a page of the variations, once they grow a bit more and see if anyone can regonise what they might be
Colin_M
KG Regular

Hi CJ, I tried growing Okra a few years ago in a greenouse (in England :( ).

Whilst the plants grew, I only managed about 7-8 "fingers" from each plant (and only had enough room for 4 plants!). Barely enough for a Bindi Bhajee.

Unless you actually have something else than Okra as Alan has suggested, I'd continue Googling - there's a few sites with info, though they're mainly for USA, Africa & India (eg WikiP and here and this place). When I asked some people on a US equivalent of the KG site, they seemed tickled that anyone in Europe would even consider growing them. They also pointed me to a grower in the US with plants well over 10 feet tall, though he was in Louisiana - mine only ever reached about 5 feet!

If I remember rightly, my plants were regularly visited by aphids. Since I know you grow a lot of peppers, you'll probably know how to handle these.

Finally, it's really worth trying with theses for at least one season, as they have a beautiful flower (mine were a lemony cream colour trumpet shape, though I think there are other varieties, one for a Red okra). You can see an example here

Please keep us posted on how you get on
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi CJ,
Do note on the Australian Website that Alan has posted, the recommended optimum temteratures are 16C to 22C which quite frankly will be exceedingly difficult to maintain in almost the entire Eupopean Continent.
JB.
longpod
KG Regular

Hi CJ

Last year I grew six okra, and what a dismal failure. I put them outside but had small stubby plants which each produced one or two okra. Have not tried again this year (may be just as well, as England basks in temperatures of 26º we have struggled with temps of 13º today), so will await to read about your harvest with interest.

Jeanne
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

This does not sound good. Even if what I've got is okra sounds like I shouldn't be banking on a bumper harvest.
I don't know how fast they grow

Colin - I don't normally have problems with aphids on the outdoors crops (the wind just blasts them off :lol:)

Longpod
Yep we are the same here really chilly, wet and miserable weather these last few months, while my mum up in Scotland is basking in sun. I bumped into a neighbour who said the grandfathers of the village say it will continue to be a poor summer because of the 3rd or 13th moon - bad translation but if anyone knows what this means I'd love to know.
Colin_M
KG Regular

cevenol jardin wrote:I don't normally have problems with aphids on the outdoors crops (the wind just blasts them off

The reason for mentioning this is that I don't think it will be worth trying to grow them outside - even in your warmer climes.

And you're right to not be banking on a bumper harvest. However if you have space in your polytunnel, they can be fun
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

oops I've already planted them outside. Its a particularly cooler summer too - so it will be interesting how far they get
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

finally put up a post about these 'climbing okra' does it look like anything you guys know?
http://www.masdudiable.com/A55C37/mdd.nsf/
alan refail
KG Regular

Well, it's definitely not Okra.

Still no real answer. I had thought of Bryony (Black Tamus communis - White Brionia cretica). Both are wild plants, both poisonous.

But there are many more climbers to check.

I'll keep trying.

Alan
alan refail
KG Regular

Just a thought - what did the seeds look like? That would be a help.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

good idea A - i'll find them & take a photo
heyjude
KG Regular

Don't the seedlings look rather like Morning Glory?
alan refail
KG Regular

Heyjude

Yes they do, very much. That was my latest guess. Will check out when we see the seeds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic