Celery

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marge
KG Regular

I have a friend who lives in the south of France and wants to grow her own celery (apparently the stuff in the shops is rubbish).

Never having grown celery myself I don't really know what to advise about growing conditions and such like. I think she wants to try a self blanching variety.

Anyone have any tips I can pass on? :)
Reine de la cocina
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Marge, the only tip i can pass on will be to try and keep the soil moist at all times, or they tend to go stringy.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Marge
KG Regular

A valuable tip nonetheless :)
Reine de la cocina
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Celery is by nature a marsh plant, so yes, keep it nice and wet. To do that, I have planted my little seedlings [about 7-8 cm high] into moist soil through a cardboard mulch. The plant also likes warm weather, but that shouldn't be a big problem for your friend.

I sowed the seeds at the beginning of March and potted them up into modules when big enough to handle. I kept them in these modules [Alpro soya yoghurt pots] until about a week ago, and the root ball was strong but the roots were not pot-bound, so they could have stayed in the modules for a bit longer.

What else? Seaweed meal or blood, fish and bonemeal during growth, or maybe also nettle tea, which is full of nitrogen, rather than comfrey tea, which has more potassium.

Hope all this makes sense.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Marge
KG Regular

Excellent advice, thanks I shall pass this on too. :D
Reine de la cocina
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Marge,
use lots of slug pellets as the critters LOVE celery just as much as we do. They are very greedy feeders and will need lots of fertilizer.

If you are growing the self blanching sort I would grow them in blocks as they blanch better this way. I would also put a 12" fence of the fabric mulch around the edge of the block. If she is only growing a few then an alternate plan is to put a 2 litre lemonade bottle around each one. The bottle should have the top and bottom removed and then be covered with the fabric mulch. A household stapler will hold the fabric on quite nicely. Put a 2 foot lond stick down the inside of the tube level with the top and nail it on from the outside. This stops it blowing away.
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic