I think all the 'clouts' have been 'cast' !!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

WigBag
KG Regular

I know its been hot but I can't believe what I am seeing down at the lottie!
Blocks of sweetcorn; mounds with courgettes, even Tomatoes and we are not even half way through May. Is it me? Have I missed something?

Looking at the Met forecast, it reckons on some seriously single figure temps coming up with the rather pretty twinkling icon. Or am I being too pessimistic?
WigBag
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm cautious too Wigbag, although I am planting out a few things at the weekend which may well cop it if the weather gets cold again. However, I can afford to lose what's going out as I have sown far too much as usual.

I have memories of two years ago when we had frost and snow on the late May bank holiday weekend :shock:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Well warned, Wigbag. I do agree and just hope people won't be caught out. I must admit, I had to plant out the celeriac and the spray chrysanthemum because they were getting too big for their containers, but I've got fleece ready to cover them. Similarly the potatoes which are growing in bags at home are well up and may need covering. One year we had a night frost on 10 June and the first autumn frost on 31 August, only July was frostfree that year (admittedly, that's about 30 years ago!!!). But it still worries me to see French and runner beans planted on allotments and lots of bedding plants in gardens!
Geoff
KG Regular

Only sowed Runner and French Beans this weekend in rt's in greenhouse; courgettes, squashes etc are still in the propagator; sweet corn just germinated in the greenhouse; outdoor toms just moved into 5" in greenhouse; so all should be nicely ready for mad planting session in June I hope. Early potatoes have tunnel cloche just bunched up so I can put it back if needed and seconds and main are small enough to earth up. I have planted out peas and quite a few brassicas but I reckon they will be OK. Anyway it ain't going to happen - the May has started to come out the last few days with us.
Johnboy
KG Regular

4am. Outside temperature at my place just now is 4C and it feels like it may even go down further when dawn comes.
JB
Chantal
KG Regular

It's around 7C out here at the moment, but there's a chilly wind.
Chantal

Catherine
KG Regular

At 6am I have just been out to open the polytunnel up and ooh its is cold. Only 6C did not take a sweater cause I was warm having just got out of bed. Silly me. Did a very quick dash around to check everything and then have scooted back to a warm kitchen and a cup of tea. I have planted out my cabbages and some beetroot and some dwarf beans and broadbeans hope they will be okay with this cooler weather. I just wish it would rain.( just a little)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
At 9am the temperature had just reached your overnight temperature of 7C and seems that it will take some time to rise if at all.
I changed from winter trousers (lined) to summer ones yesterday and have changed back smartly.
We are prone to late frosts into the first week of June so should have known better.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

I don't think the temperature has risen since dawn, it feels so cold out there and now it's raining (which we do need).
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My Runner Beans, French Beans and Tomatoes are now romping away, yes i am feeling a little smug. :)

And i bet theres more than one person who hopes the frost gets them. :twisted: :lol:

Nice drop of rain coming down now, bet the plants are loving it.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
richard p
KG Regular

i cast my clouts in the garden yesterday afternoon, but its back to sweaters and coat today :D
alan refail
KG Regular

OH

The BBC forecast is looking after you :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Cheers Alan, thats put even a bigger smile on my face. :D

Some years it works, some years it don't. :wink:

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Thanks for that link Alan.
Down in the deep south the forecast is even better than for you OH. Have a look at this link.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3696
The previous owner here lived here for 20 years, and always had everything planted out by the end of April. In all that time she reckoned there was never a frost after that date :shock: My neighbour seems to work along the same lines, so I must confess to having already planted out Courgettes, Runner Beans, French Beans, and some bedding plants, but not all. I also have loads of compost bags with potatoes growing in them. Some of the earlies have flower buds already. So hopefully this won't be the first year in 21 that we have a late frost!

Cheers PJ
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear PJ, thats pure bliss. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic