Apple tree pollination

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

What is strange is that the originator Jude wanted to know about pollination but didn't actually ask a question about pollination. Jude is there something else that you intended to ask but forgot?
JB.
Jude
KG Regular

Johnboy, I did, I did!
I wanted to know how far apart they could be for best pollination!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for info.

Did you know that Bramley apples NEED TWO other pollinators of DIFFERENT varieties that flower at a similar time to bramleys...It should tell you which ones on the packaging...Check that your neighbourhood has a variety of apples or planting a crab apple could help.

Vivie Veg

WHY doesn't the system log me on automatically?????
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Vivie Veg :)
Thanks for the info, I think I have read all the posting's on this matter,(no doubt someone will tell me I have'nt) but none say how far apart the Pollinators have to be :?: I intend to plant the Bramley at the end of my allotment which is about a 100ft from my nighbours allotment who have a number of fruit trees planted ie Plums, Apples, Pears, about ten in all, also we have a plot holder who keeps bee's on her allotment :D hopefully that should help.

Kevin :P
paul.r

Hi Kevin. According to the RHS help and advice column March 2006 page 204. "Having chosen the appropriate cultivar it is important to position your trees away from a frost pocket and cold winds, not more than 18 metres apart." also all the guff on diploids and triploids and hemmeroids is in there...rgds paul.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic