Carrots & Parsnips

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tiltonblue
KG Regular

I have put three big tubs put to the side to grow my carrots, to my trained eye, there aint much difference between a parsnip and carrot apart from the colour.

Has anyone tried growning these together in tubs from seed, and if yes has anyone had any success.

Thanks Mike
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Tiltonblue, i don't grow veg in big tubs myself. But i think a problem that might occur, is that the leaves of Parsnips are quite large and vigorous, and i think they would swamp the carrots.

And a very warm welcome to the forum by the way. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Tiltonblue
KG Regular

Many thanks for that Old H, a bit a rethink is needed.

Thanks Mike
donedigging
KG Regular

Hi Tiltonblue, I have to agree with Old Herbaceous, parsnips leaves are really vigorous, last year was my first year growing veg, made loads of mistakes, but have learnt alot from it.

Wish I had found this web-site before, really friendly and helpful people here.

Happy Gardening
donedigging
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi and welcome

I would agree. My parents grew parsnips in a trough of potting compost as they have very clay soil. The resulting parsnips had tops over 4ft high, I've never seen anything like it. Any carrots wouldn't have stood a chance. :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

hiya tiltonblue.
last season was my first growing year.

i got clay soil to.so last year i tried carrots in large tubs and had some lovely carrots from them,so this year i am trying parsnips in a seperate pot to try ,although i have bored some holes(in the veg patch) in the soil for 20 parsnips and filled the holes back in with MP compost as a back up
Last edited by gowerbass come gardener on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a bad days fishing beats a good days work
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the problem with growing parsnips or carrots in containers will come when they are ready to harvest. Parsnips roots particular can grow very deep and it might be impossible to get a spade or fork deep enough into the container to dig them out. Also, as others have pointed out, the leaves grow at least a foot tall so would overwhelm carrots if planted together in the same container.
If you really want to grow parsnips in a container, I would choose large cheap black plastic bendy ones which you can pick up and knock on the ground upside down when ready to harvest them, so that the parsnips come out intact with the soil ball. Then you can just ease them apart.
Tiltonblue
KG Regular

Many thanks for the responses guys.

Advice has been taken on board.

Well I was hoping to get a lot done in the garden. The carrots being one.

Its so cold and pouring down with rain :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic