raised beds

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

anthony

What do i fill my raised bed with, will multi purpoes compost be ok if so do i have to change it every year
thanks

Anthony
Tigger
KG Regular

You could start with it but would be wise to add layers of compost, manure and any other good matter, especially if you intend to manage your beds by the no dig method.
Di
KG Regular

I'd not fill them completely, addition of manure etc over the years will raise the level of the soil. Given the cost of buying a large ammount of compost it might be worth doing a web search for lasagne beds to see the range of cheap/free material you could use to build up the soil.
Primrose
KG Regular

What are "lasagne" beds? Have to confess my ignorance. I've only ever eaten the stuff!
Catherine
KG Regular

Ive never heard of lasagne beds either. I am in dire need of soil because I have three new raised beds to make on a plot we got last year. So far we have only managed to make one bed by filling it with manure and some soil and the Mr or Mrs Mole found it delightfully full of worms so he or she proceeded to dig the whole of the bed up. Making my purple sprouting broccoli lean at alarming angles. They seem to be okay though we had two little spears last night for supper, mmmmm.
Chantal
KG Regular

Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
jane E
KG Regular

It may be that you fill with ordinary garden soil, mixed with manure, compost or whatever. Then each year you add more humus material onto the top , so that the soil becomes friable and no major digging has to be done before planting.It depends what your garden soil is like.
ray
KG Regular

I filled mine with ordinary top soil and use a pellet fertilizer 2 weeks before planting. I find it works ok for me
Catherine
KG Regular

My problem is that the top soil was scraped away when the site was cleared for allotments and with all the heavy rain what little I did have has been washed away. So there is no chance of digging it over because there is only probably a couple of inches then it is clay. So my only option is to bring a load of soil in which will cost money.
Di
KG Regular

The mind boggles at the people who scrapped away the topsoil ready to make allotments.. :shock:

You might also try going on freecycle and ask for topsoil, there may be someone locally who's decided to cement over their garden and will let you take their soil.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic