Preparing peas

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brooklynodog
KG Regular

I once read somewhere that before sowing peas, either in pots or straight in the ground, that it is best to soak them in water overnight, and that the smell of paraffin discourages mice etc. What folk think about this?
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
richard p
KG Regular

i never sow peas direct in the ground, the mice get most of them. i start them in lengths of gutter on trestles in the tunnel and set a couple of old fashioned mouse traps. plant out when about 3 inches tall.
Brooklynodog
KG Regular

What about the soaking issue though?
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
Monika
KG Regular

I mix them with damp potting compost in a seed tray or bag until they have germinated and then sow them, either in root trainers (early in the season) or direct into the ground (later in the season).

I suppose this mixing in damp compost is the equivalent to soaking and it really helps to start them off.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Brooklynodog, i think people do pre-soak peas overnight to try and get better germination, but it is something that i don't bother with.

A lot of the older boys used to damp their peas in paraffin prior to sowing, and one of the eldest ones used to mix something called red lead with it as well, what ever that was.

I'm not sure if you could use water with a drop of paraffin in, to pre-soak the peas or not.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
goldilox
KG Regular

I washed some rye seed in paraffin in November because I was afraid the mice would take the lot, and it worked for me - all grew well :P
Weed
KG Regular

I read somewhere recently a trick about putting crumbled up Extra Strong Mints around the peas to keep off mice.

If it works you will have a few undernourished mice but none with sore throats
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic