Bouganvillea

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Joy
KG Regular

My son has sent me one of these for Mothers Day...it was sititng on the doorstep in a big box in the pouring rain yesterday. Trouble is there is no real information with it except it is a 'challenging tropical climbing plant to grow in a conservatory'. As I have neither a conservatory or a green house what do you suggest? Will it be Ok in a central heated house over winter? Will it be happy outside come spring/summer? Can I then leave it out all year?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Joy i'm not to sure, but i think most of them are quite vigourous climbers and do realy need a greenhouse or consevatory, as they can grow anything from 15feet to over 40feet. :shock:

They are frost tender, so no you can't really leave them outside all year.

I think if you keep it inside until the Spring you will need to keep it in a very cool room, because once it starts growing it could take over the house. :shock:

It might pay you to give it away and buy something in it's place.

Hopefully i'm wrong and they have now bred a dwarf variety, does it say what type it is?

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge on these plants will be able to help more. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Your bouganvillea won't grow too large in a small pot, and if it sends long shoots out they can be wound round and tied onto a small framework of canes.

Frost will kill it, so you can't leave it out all year, and central heating will be a bit too warm for it. If you have a cooler windowsill with plenty of light it should be quite happy.

They can be quite temperamental though. The first one I had didn't get through the winter in the greenhouse, but I've managed to keep one going for three years now in the conservatory. The two cuttings I've rooted are still alive but sulking in the greenhouse and have dropped all their leaves so I'm waiting to see if they grow new ones when the weather warms up a bit.

They need to be kept on the dry side but not bone dry in winter if they drop their leaves, but just keep feeding and watering it as normal if the leaves stay on. The one in the conservatory has kept its leaves and been flowering on and off all winter.

I would give it a try, and don't forget, the cuttings root very easily and quickly, so if it gets too large root a couple of new ones and start again.
Chantal
KG Regular

I had one for some years in a pot on my bathroom windowledge. I seem to recall I eventually had to bin it as there was some bug unfestation that I couldn't fix, but it did just fine for a long time. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Joy,
As one who tried for years to perfect the growing of these in this country I strongly suggest that you enjoy what you have now and then dump it.
I know that sounds harsh but you will for ever be wondering if the B--y thing will like or not where it is. Quite frankly they are not worth the worry.
JB.
Joy
KG Regular

Thanks for all the advice...oh dear. Did wonder about the bathroom as it a small room, and has no central heating so a bit chilly, but the window sill is above the bath and we tend to leave the top window open each evening/night after a bath so would the steam then cold up set it? The label says that it is a 'Bougainvillea Glabra. "Sanderiana" ' if that is any help. Would like to keep it if possible as it was gift from son who lives afar off and I don't get to see.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Joy, well not all is bad, you will be pleased to know that B.glabra sanderiana only grows to 15-25 feet. It will tolerate temperatures down to 0 degree centigrade. But if your bathroom window is open all night it might get frosted.

The biggest problem you will have if it does grow well, is that it flowers on new growth, so if you have to keep pinching it back you will lose the flowering bracts later on in the year.

But reading the others comments, it sounds as if you will do well to keep it alive at all. :)

They do like being kept slightly pot bound as this helps with the flowering.

One more thing, if it has a single stem at the moment you could be very clever and grow it as a standard. :)

Nearly forgot to say, keep it on the dry side until you notice new growth appearing.

Joy
KG Regular

It is about three foot high, single woody stem with the flowering top like a ball of purple bracts. It has about three or four shoots coming off the top. So, if I keep nipping off these shoots and keep it like a ball it may well survive for a while.....still doesn't solve the problem of where to keep it though.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Joy, in can go outside once the danger of frost has passed, but will have to be brought back in, in the Autumn.

Joy
KG Regular

OK...watch this space next spring!!!

Thank you for all the advice :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic