SHED ENVY

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Compo
KG Regular

Sigmund Freud talked about p...s envy, the psychological minded amongst you will know what it is. So I apologise in advance if your not allowed a shed, there is probably another Freudian reason why you are not allowed them, however, here is an idea for a thread.

Let's have a shed thread!! Tell us about your Shed, what's good about it and what you do in it.

Mine is an old but very solid 8x6 shiplap shed, I have my tools and rotavator in it etc. I have a locked steel cupboard with little of value in it more stuff that I don't want the mice to get it, teabags, seeds and the like.

I mainly use it for keeping stuff in, but it is also a place for me (and any visitors I have) to shelter from inclement weather, drink tea and biccies and muse about allotment life.

I am currently building a lean too on the side, from recycled timber to stow the lawnmower and rotavator in, I will post a pic in due course, but am having technical problems getting my camera to speak to the laptop!! Arrrrgggh

Oh and I do love my shed!!

Compo
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Compo, we are not allowed sheds, so i can't say what i would have and do in mine, whats probably just as well. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

I could go right off you Compo :evil:

There's nothing Freudian about vandals which is why we don't have sheds. Having said that, we have the most fabulous view over the valley and to ruin that with what would soon become a shanty town would be criminal. :roll:

I'll just have to sit and go green with envy. :cry:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Piglet
KG Regular

Oh Chanters, we have two. :twisted:
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
seedling
KG Regular

I dont have a shed either and i do suffer from shed envy. if i did have one it would have a stove and kettle, a porta potti, books and comfy chair and tin of biscuits as well as gardening gear. i can dream

Seedling
pongeroon
KG Regular

Ooo ooo we have a shed too! We got it off freecycle and although its not very big we can both fit in it when it rains. We have a gas stove and tea making stuff (no biccies, but its not far from the village shop if we get the munchies)and some tools and fold-up chairs. We plan to put a lean-to on the back for rolls of wire, useful bits of wood, etc.

On the downside, it got broken into last year, but nothing was taken, though it does mean we cant keep anything pinchable in there.
pongeroon
KG Regular

And don't sheds always smell great? The first time I experienced this was in my paternal grandfathers 'potting shed' which I think was actually part of his garage. But it was full of terracotta pots and chitting potatoes and suchlike, and smelt like a proper shed.
Di
KG Regular

As an arachnaphobe, I see sheds as places where I might be ambushed. :shock:

I do have a shed, and its very useful, but I'd far rather get wet than take shelter in there. Procedure for getting stuff out is a minute banging the door and stamping to make spiders scarper first.

Somehow far less scared of spiders out in the open - but I never claimed to be logical :D
Compo
KG Regular

Di

Try the following website - (triumph over phobia) http://www.topuk.org/ treatment is effective and simple!!

Compo
Monika
KG Regular

Our shed is just a simple FOCUS 6x4 job but my beloved has fixed up lots of shelves and hooks and it contains all our tools, fleeces etc. The main thing is, it provides shelter in a sudden shower because there are no other buildings in the whole area (other than other people's sheds). Before we had ours, I used to shelter from the rain sitting on my haunches under the wheelbarrow!

Because our plot is so exposed, the shed is screwed to four huge posts, dug deeply into the ground at each corner. Even then, it shakes and rattles when it's windy. Two of our allotment neighbours have lost their sheds in the wind in the past and one found part of it on the tracks of the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway, about a mile away!

Some of you may remember that, last year, the family gave me a specially commissioned painting of my lovely shed for my 70th birthday, a great present.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, the thought of you sheltering under your barrow in the rain has made me smile. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Sue
KG Regular

I'm not allowed a shed on my plot either but I have a large yew tree in the boundary verge next to me that makes an excellent umbrella in bad weather.

I sit in my barrow to drink my coffee, which is fine till you want to get up and only have little legs :oops: Amuses the neighbours no end :lol: :lol:

Sue
richard p
KG Regular

it must be hell growing on an allotment with shed regulations.
one of the advantages of a large rural garden is the sheds.... the main garden shed is the body off an electricity board transit about 10 foot by 7 with alloy walls and a transluscent roof , its home to the lawnmowers , strimmers and most of the garden tools. the prefab concrete garage has never had a car in it, just the bikes, welder, assorted power tools, reels of cable,pots of paint, bits of wood, generator, etc, ... then theres the ""doghouse" about 20 ft square brick built, with a bench and vice, table saw and loads of " useful stuff" not forgetting the racks for the homemade wine.
trouble is there is never enough space :D
Weed
KG Regular

Come on...where is the fun of having an allotment without a shed.

Some of those spoilsport Councils should lighten up and help our society a bit more.

For goodness sake where else do they think we poor fellas can go to get a bit of peace and quiet..or to hide even when relegated to the doghouse :roll:

Incidentally I have two sheds... just in case my Governor has my bags packed when I get home
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Compo
KG Regular

I do feel genuinely sorry for those sites where Shed's aren't allowed, I agree they can look like Shanty town's but that is part of allotment charm surely, a neighbouring town's site has a block of what looks like dustbin cupboards of the type that are usually associated with 1960's blocks of flats, equally as 'unpretty' as random sheds as we have on our site, but even without sheds, allotment sites aren't that pretty so not sure what the idea of the 'no sheds rule' is as it does not make much of an aesthetic difference...........in my opinion.

I started the thread with an idea about Freud (Sigmund that is) and to accompany that idea I think the no sheds rule is relevant to another Freudian theory it is truly an 'anal' decision.

Long live the shed...........surely an allotment is not an allotment without one??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic