parsnips re-sprouting

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

GIULIA
KG Regular

I had too much success with two rows of parsnips last year, many of them are still in the ground, but I've noticed some of them are starting to sprout again now. Are they no good any more? :( Probably I should dig them all up and bury them in wet sand or something. I don't want to waste them. Advice appreciated.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Giulia, if left in the ground they will soon run to seed when it warms up, but i can't say that i have ever heard of anyone storing them at this time of the year.
They might last longer if put in damp compost or sand, but they will need to be kept in a cool position.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
richard p
KG Regular

its the warmer weather thats started them off. i would prepare them for cooking ,then chuck in the freezer. you could leave one to set seed for next year.
Primrose
KG Regular

I have a few left too which are showing the first signs of resprouting. I plan to dig them up this week-end, wash them and store them in polythene bags in my fridge. They seem to keep quite well like this if you have some spare space.
The Mouse
KG Regular

I often have a surplus of parsnips still in the ground and re-sprouting at this time of year, and they don't taste any the worse for it to me! I'll be lifting them all soon though, if only to free up the ground for a different crop. I'll either dice them up (great to through in a veg curry or stew) or chop them into roasting-size chunks, parboil them and throw them in the freezer. They'll keep me going until next year's crop is ready - which I probably won't even think of sowing until mid-april. I've had great crops from sowing in May a couple of times. Who says the sowing window for parsnips is short!
Primrose
KG Regular

You're right caz about the sowing window. I sowed mine very early last year in a fit of enthusiasm and then we had some very hard frosts and none of them germinated by which time I thought I'd missed the boat. However I sowed again and had a good crop. My dilemma this year is that I have seed left from last year and wonder whether I should risk using it knowing how quickly the seed ages. I do hate waste though so will probably try a few on the moist tissue this week-end and see if they germinate. If they do, I'll sow them in the soil and take my chance.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Yes, Primrose, go go go! And next year as well. I remember one of the first Organic Way mags I read, in which a letter appeared saying that the writer had managed to keep parsnip seeds viable for 5 years by keeping them in a glass airtight jar in the fridge with a silicon-gel bag in the jar.

It just so happens that I've just put some of last year's seed on wet kitchen towel on a plate, as recommended by JB and others. If they chit, I'll put them into compost in toilet-roll tubes and let them grow on in my cold greenhouse, and then plant them out before the taproot gets constricted.

But yes again, I've found that my second sowing in April or May produces a good crop, and so I intend to sow a different variety later in the year.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Giulia,
As you seem to have a surfeit of Parsnips have you ever tried Parsnip Chips? These are absolutely wonderful and very well worth at least a try.
I think that Gilly calls the Game Chips if my memory serves me correctly. (Gilly, a posting of about five years ago so I may have it all wrong) However I stress that they are really worth trying.
JB.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mike,
To germinate seeds I cut the bottom inch off a two pint plastic milk container a use that as a petrie dish. I fold kitchen paper into a concertina of three folds to fit the dish and place the seeds under the first fold then hold it all firmly and saturate the lot. Then tip the surplus out and when no more will come out then I pop them on top of my solid-fuel boiler. By having two layers of fold below the seeds they do not dry out the same and prior to going to school you remember to look at them and again immediately you come home. At the very first sign of germination take them off the heat source you use. Plant up those that have sprouted. When you place them in the dish you wonder what these dried out things will ever do but you will note that as soon as the take up water they swell and look vibrant. This always gives me a real buzz. At the scar, though you may not realize that it is the scar, as the seed progresses you will note the radicle growing. If that radicle is almost about to protrude from the capsule plant them up then because if left they may well be over the top by the next time you get a chance to look at them again.
If they have come out of the seed capsule they are over the top and should not be used.
Hope this is of assistance.
JB.
GIULIA
KG Regular

Thanks everyone - I dug up the parsnips this afternoon and got about a carrier bag full that were worthwhile. All the remaining row that I sowed from Simpsons' seeds were fine but the Unwins row had been a martyr to canker. Another victory for Simpsons who are becoming my favourite seed supplier!
When I've washed the ton of mud off them I may try parsnip chips, though I don't have a deep frying thingy so I shall stand well back as I expect they'll spit a bit!
Granny
KG Regular

Johnboy, are you saying that if the seed has a little 'tail' it's too far gone to planted successfully? And it should be planted when it just has a little pointed blob at one end?
------------------
Granny
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

That's great advice, Johnboy. I've been keeping them on the kitchen table in a plate inside a polythene bag. Your idea will enable then to sit on the radiator.

How long does it take for them to germinate for you?

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Granny wrote:Johnboy, are you saying that if the seed has a little 'tail' it's too far gone to planted successfully? And it should be planted when it just has a little pointed blob at one end?
------------------
Granny

I was thinking that too Granny. If that is correct it may be the reason why we have had such bad luck with parsnips!!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Granny and WestHamRon,
I'm very sorry to be very late with this reply as I, for some unknown reason have missed your replies.
If the Parsnip seed has a tail it must be planted up as soon as possible like now! If there are others where you can see what you call the little blob they too can be planted up at this time. When you see that little blob it means that the onset of germination has taken place and the seed will, in the very near future, send out a radicle (Tail).
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The best crop of parsnips I ever had was from self sown seeds round a couple of plants I had left in to go to seed. I left a few where they had germinated and transplanted others into a proper row and they all grew wonderfully well.

I'm leaving three plants in to go to seed this year and hoping for a repeat.

Funny how we have so many difficulties trying to grow them (properly)and when left to their own devices they do so much better. Good old Mother Nature.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic