Cloche choice of fabric

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Anonymouse again

There are 3 choices of cloches in our garden centre. Net, fleece or plastic. How do I choose which to buy ? The net looked tempting as at least I could see how things were growing. But then I thought why do they make 3 different types. Had too much time to think about it I guess ! Please help me choose. Many thanks
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Happymouse

Having used all three, here's my verdict. The net ones are great and worked well for keeping hares and birds off. They have lasted us about four years so far. The plastic ones are ideal for frost protection and are okay, but looking like we may have to replace them in the third year (plastic just starting to pull away from the stitching on some). We would still buy them again. As for the fleece ones, I can't recommend them at all. Ours barely lasted one season, before all the fleece started disintegrating. Not at all worth it even if they were half the price. We won't be buying them again. Hope this helps.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Hi
Like Chez said, the net are good for protecting fruit and brassica from maurauding pigeons and blackbirds but offer no protection from the frost. Fleece is the best bet for keeping stuff warm and early/late sowings - its a bit more 'breathable' in warm weather, plastic can be a bit too warm, fleece is not very robust and the plastic I tend to use in winter. So you just need to decide what you need the cloche for :D
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Speaking in support of fleece here. If you get good quality it lasts a few years (at least mine has). I use it for growing brassicas as it keeps the aphids off them while they're young.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Jenny - I should clarify I didn't intend to cast aspersions on fleece the fabric. Just the cloches. In our experience they use poor quality fabric which just doesn't last nearly long enough for the prices they charge. For this reason, we are intending to buy un-cloched fleece this year, but if you know of a good quality fleece cloche, please pass it on and I'll be keen to use it.
darren c
KG Regular

The net ones are useful for protection from bright sun if they the same type which are advertised in the catalogues.The fleece cloche offers a fair degree of protection from frost and is water permeable and breathes. Th plastic one is the real protector from frost but you may need to open the ends up to ventilate in the same way you would a polytunnel or greenhouse.Before i bought my polytunnel i used both the plastic and fleece to start short rows of early vegetables in the spring. If you need more info about this subject buy Bernard Salts book on Gardening under Plastic How to use fleece ,films,cloches and polytunnels
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Hi Chez

Is it the Haxniks ones you're referring too? About £19? I lusted after these for a few years, then one cold January weekday I wandered into my local garden centre and they had them on sale for £5 each!! I got one each of the fleece, plastic and netting. Really great to use and useful. I haven't had any problems with the fleece one to be honest, but for good quality fleece generally, you could try N.A. Kays Horticultural Products, which sell strong fleece in rolls of varying widths and lengths. I've had a roll of this for a few years and not had any problems with it. I sometimes put it through the washing machine on a cold wash if it gets really dirty. I find it only tears around the tears I've made myself to pin it down.
Johnboy
KG Regular

I agree with Jenny about the fleece and the longivity between 17gm and 30 gm. The 30gm can be used year after year but the 17gm snags and tears so easily it is a bad investment.
As for the cloches I have made my own but for what it worth if I were buying them I would go for the netting because you can use fleece or Polythene over the top of the netting and netting is what you really will need in the long run.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

I bought Haxniks net tunnels on ebaylast year from the Greenhouse Warehouse
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfrtsZ100Q ... fwarehouse
They still have them (same advert) and they sell them for £35 plus £5 p&p for 3 tunnels (3 for 2 offer)

The advert just says Easy Tunnel but I received 3 Haxniks ones, you could ask them before buying. They also sell fleece and poly tunnels.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks Jenny. I am afraid it was the Haxnicks fleece tunnels we bought. The expensive option despite the buy three get one free deal. Perhaps we had a dud batch. Still, we are left with hoops so will just buy stronger fleece to put over the top as per yours and Johnboy's recommendations.

Happymouse, it appears I am the only one to have had this problem with the fleece cloches, so perhaps you need not be too concerned about my disparaging comments regarding them. If you do get some though, I would love to hear how yours bear up.
Happymouse
KG Regular

Many thanks to all of you for your help. From all of your experiences put together I am going for the net ones and a big roll of 30mg strong fleece to give more protection from frost and flying bugs (especially carrot fly) ... Wish me luck....
Make it a habit to be happy
Tigger
KG Regular

Before you get carried away - Poundland sell a roll of fleece for a pound (there's a surprise) which you may find a bargain.

You can cover any frame with this. I usually find that a pound's worth last two years. The dilligent amongst us would make it last 3 years or more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic