Repair to porcelain glazing

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

JohnN
KG Regular

Using a metal hook to unblock a wc I've made a patch of small scratches on an area of the glazing in the porcelain/ceramic bowl, just above the water level. Can anyone recommend a "treatment/coating" to repair this damage?
Thanks, John N
Compo
KG Regular

Hi John N, has it been marked or has the glaze been damaged? If it is just marks or scuffs, then T-cut or a similar proprietory cleaner will get the marks off and leave a shine on the surface, of course if it is below the waterline you need to mop out all the water with and old sponge or similar first. If it is chipped down to the rough surface under the glaze you need something different. You could try one of these 'bath doctors' who respray baths or look in B & Q as plastikote do a range of various enamels etc.

Compo
JohnN
KG Regular

The bowl scratches are not just 'marks', which would polish off, but they are not so deep as to go right through the glaze. I could try T-Cut, but I don't want to do further damage. Main problem with the 'patch' is that it will collect stains and faeces residue and is much harder to clean than smooth glaze.
John N.
Compo
KG Regular

You have a such a delicate way of describing things John, I think you are best leaving it and see how it goes, it is probably easier to get a new toilet pan rather than have it professionally restored I would think, the metal from your hook has a habit of interacting with the porcelain and leaving a dark mark, the T-cut will take away the darkness of the marks it is then down to time as to whether or not the scratches will stain....

Compo
Geoff
KG Regular

Perhaps use your good hand next time.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thanyou Geoff, i'm just eating my supper. :roll: :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Di
KG Regular

I'd suggest milliput, obtainable from model making suppliers and some hardware shops. It comes in different grades, you'd want the superfine white. It is used among other things to repair chips in porcelain and is capable of taking a good shine.

the problem with repairs such as this is usually that the flaw is so small that it is hard to get any sort of filler to adhere.

Clean the area with detergent and then spirit alcohol (vodka will probably do) and then work a little mixed millipit into the damaged area. Use a sharp knife/ scalpel blade dipped in water to shave away the excess and work over the area with a soft brush dipped in water to get a smooth surface. When it is nearly set rub your finger over it with some oil to polish it.

That may leave you with a slightly raised area, but it won't hold the dirt like a scratched surface.
Gilly C
KG Regular

Why not try your loacl Freecycle and replace the toilet :roll:
JohnN
KG Regular

Thank you one and all, I have plenty to consider there! And thank you especially to Compo for his comment on my delicacy. My dad was a farmer and it took my mum a long time to get him to call it manure.
John N
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic