TALL PEAS

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

I got on better with tall peas last year, and wanted to try again this year. I used Alderman last year and found them a bit large and bullet-like, can anyone recommend a variety that is tall with smaller more sweet peas and if so what about a suitable supplier?

Compo
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good afternoon Compo, i think you may struggle to find many tall varieties to choose from these days.

I have aways found Alderman to be of first class quality, sweet and tender, just one thought, maybe you could try picking them whilst they are a little smaller.

I have to say mine went on cropping over a very long period last year, so it might be worth you trying them again this year.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Compo
KG Regular

Good afternoon OH, you could be right, that wet weather in spring and early summer may well have allowed them to swell beyond their sweetness I will try them again and also harvest them as mange-tout, however, I am still open to any other suggestions that people might have to trying other varieties.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Compo, i think there are a few taller Mange tout or Sugar snap peas that are available.

I have heard some good reports about a Sugar snap pea called Zuccola, and as a bonus, it is meant to have good tolerance to mildew.
I have not tried it before, but i might this year.

June
KG Regular

Hello Compo,
I also much prefer growing tall varieties. Much more crop for space taken up and cropping over a longer period. I've also grown Alderman previously and found them to be usually good. I've also grown Ne Plus Ultra, a very old variety which grows really tall and crops well. I think the flavour is fine but realise this could be a matter of taste. Another tall variety is Show Perfection which I'm going to try this year. Both these vareties are available from Robinson's www.mammothonion.co.uk.
You could also try mangetout peas (I've tried Oregon Sugar Pod, Golden Sweet and Wegisser) They all grow really tall, my favourite of these is Oregon Sugar Pod.
Good luck, June
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear June, thankyou for putting Robinsons website address up, i didn't realise they did any heritage varieties. I have been after some Ne Plus Ultra for a while now, so thanks again.

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Compo,
I note that Plants of Distinction have a 5'-6' variety of peas Purple Podded Desiree which look quite novel. I have decided to grow a 30' row and save half for seed. So I will have plenty next year.
PoD Email [email protected] should get you a catalogue if you haven't got it already.
They also have probably the best collections of Peppers, Chilli's and Tomatoes I have ever seen.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

A very good tall pea is Robinson and has lovely sweet tasting peas, they don't go floury quickly if you forget to pick them for a few days. I got the seeds from the Heritage Seed Library and can let you have a few of the seeds I saved if you would like to try them - Mail me.
Pat
Compo
KG Regular

Hi again all

Have got some Alderman planted out from peat pots and they are doing well, I grew them up canes last year on a similar frame to runner beans, but am thinking of using a net fixed to the canes this year to help them scramble up a bit more, anyone got any valid thoughts on this?

Compo
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Compo,
A very wise decision as they will be far better growing up a net.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Compo,

I usually grow the tall peas up nets on a tent shaped frame of garden canes. That is two 8ft canes tied together at the top along the row spaced about 4 ft apart and more canes along the top to make them more steady, then just attach the nets to the top canes and along the outside . Sometimes I put a cane or two horizontally halfway down the uprights to make it less wobbly when it is windy.

The tent shape seems to deter the sparrows a bit too, but you can put a few pea sticks in the middle of the row when you sow them for a bit more protection and early support before they reach the nets.
pump_king
KG Regular

Try Telephone very old variety grows upto 2.3meters and a good tasting pea
If I can't eat it I don't grow it
http://myallotment.spaces.live.com/
Tony Hague
KG Regular

For mange-tout, I like Carouby de Mausanne. Seem to yield well, nice flavour and crunch without string or parchment.
Di
KG Regular

June wrote:You could also try mangetout peas (I've tried Oregon Sugar Pod, Golden Sweet and Wegisser) They all grow really tall, my favourite of these is Oregon Sugar Pod.
Good luck, June

Hi June,
Err, just how tall do Oregon Sugar Pod get? I've previously grown carouby de mausanne on a 1.2m piece of fencing held up with canes. Will that to tall enough for sugar pods... if not I have to find a way to build an extension. Thanks
June
KG Regular

Hello Di,
I think it can depend on how wet the summer is but in my experience they get to about five feet. I grow mine on the allotment on plastic coated wire mesh with canes woven through it to keep it upright. I start them off in root trainers then plant a row each side.
June
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic