Advice please.

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tigger
KG Regular

It looks as though one of my tunnel tents has got to come down this year, having suffered in the gales and floods last year.

OH - Lyndon - has suggested we replace it with a big greenhouse which he will make from cedar, with a block base. Who am I to object?

My question is whether we should go for glass or twin wall polycarbonate for the side panels?

What do you think?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Tigger, i would go for glass.
It lets more light in, and i know it sounds silly, but it also adds a lot of strength to a struture.

I have to say, clever Lyndon, thats something really special.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

If I remember your other postings it is your own land so I would go for glass. If he cribs the Alton design it takes readily available standard sheets of glass with an easy glazing system. If he can copy the vents they are good and simple. I think you can buy the bits as spares.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigger,
I would go for glass every time. If Lyndon builds greenhouses as well as he makes Game Pies you will have a wonderful greenhouse!
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

I couldn't agree more JB and with Lyndon being a cabinet maker too I think I'm going green with envy already :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Geoff
KG Regular

As an afterthought you could see if you could come up with an improvement on the standard greenhouse. When everything has grown up how often does it annoy you having to stretch through the jungle or step between plants to open vents? How about designing ones that open from the outside!
Tigger
KG Regular

Excellent. Thanks folks. Good idea about opening vents externally. Lyn's tinkering about with the design, so timing is everything. He's going to adapt the frames we currently use for growbags (inside, of course) but put them up higher, so they'll be easier for me to use when my hips go!

No doubt it will be first class when I get it, but I'm not taking bets on a completion date. As anyone married to someone self employed knows - it's always famine or feast. I'm resisting the dismantling of the polytunnel until the work has started on the greenhouse, so I just hope we don't get any gales during the next few months. I've been waiting for a kitchen for 20 years and it's only now in sight - thanks to the floods. Mind you, when I do get anything, it's always great and well worth waiting for.

If I push him too much, he'll only remind me of the rug I started before we got engaged, or the knitting machine he bought for me in 1976 which has never been used, or...... :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic