Overwintering sugar snap peas?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

Hello all,
Is it possible/practical to sow sugar snap peas now or in October to overwinter for next spring? If so, would I need to keep them in a greenhouse (I have an unheated one) then plant out?
Thanks,
Vivien
Sue
KG Regular

I don't think overwintering will work with sugarsnaps Vivienz, but you can start your seeds in the greenhouse early next spring ahead of the outdoor sowings. It cuts a good few weeks off the time to harvest and a big pot full yields a surprising amount. I do these and dwarf french beans and they are all out before you need the space for the summer crops.

Alternatively, if you have pea seeds you want to use up, sow them in a deep seed tray and harvest the seedlings as pea shoots for salads. They are lovely and are ready so quickly you should be able to squeeze in a couple of crops before the greenhouse gets too cold and the days too short for them to germinate.

Sue :D
vivienz
KG Regular

Thanks Sue - I thought this may be the case, but wanted to check. A couple of years ago, someone optimistically gave me a book called 'The Half Hour Allotment',which has only ever been true in the dead of winter when I can't get onto the plot! Anyhow, one of the things they mention is to sow peas in the autumn, and they recommend a sugar snap type. I think I'll stick to the traditional route.
Thanks again,
Vivien
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic