Monty Don

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Allan
KG Regular

I found this article by Monty Don explaining his attitude to home-grown and organics, to be fair it is dated 2001. Would he say the same today?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmont ... 51,00.html
Angi
KG Regular

I'm a little confused, Allan, why do you ask if he would say the same today. What has particularly caught your eye?
John
KG Regular

Oh dear! Its not 'lets knock Monty' season again is it?
John
Allan
KG Regular

Angi, I want your thoughts on the subject. Many things have changed since that piece was written.There is still the ambivalence that what the home gardener is calling organic is not the same as the Soil association standards. Should the addition of that 'label' make all that difference. The general public is confused.
Chantal
KG Regular

I'll go for that. I'm general public and I'm confused. :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Mr Potato Head

Surely it's fair to say that whilst commercial growers should have to meet stringent guidelines on the definition of 'organic' (as money often tempts people to push the boundaries) your average home grower can take the term 'organic' as a catch-all term that means growing without the use of artificial pesticides or other chemicals.

As far as I can see, organic gardening like many things in life. You can easily spend a lot of time worrying about definitions, and whether you adhere to them, but really it's about striving to do your best rather than falling at the first hurdle because you've grown an 'organic' carrot from an non-organic seed...
Angi
KG Regular

I still fail to see why anyone is confused. If you buy organic in the shops, as Mr PH says, you know it has been grown without the use of, or anywhere near chemicals. If you grow your own produce organically, you strive to do the same. Surely, it must be accepted that there will be shades of grey in this area as in all others, but if produce is for your own consumption, it is up to you what standards you will accept. Why bother with labels?
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Angi - the problem is that the term 'organic' can be applied to many different standards. What you buy in the shops labelled as organic may not actually have been raised according to the standards you think they should have been.

I think Johnboy pointed this out a while back on the old Forum in relationship to so-called organic meat which was only organic from a certain point on in the 'growing' cycle. Different countries have different standards and different organisations have different standards and these change. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I tend to treat all overseas claims to be organic with scepticism. They may or may not be adhering to the UK Soil Association Standards - most likely not, not that I personally follow or endorse those. If I like a product I buy it, whether it is 'organic' or not.
Beccy
KG Regular

And now to be really pedantic. You can not grow anything with out chemicals. No chemicals, no growth - what do you think the plants are made of, a vacuum? :twisted:

Mr P-H, you are not the average customer that we sell our homegrown produce to
Imagine the scene at a Farmers' Market, customerviewing our produce.
Customer "Are you organic"
Us "everybody is or we wouldn't be alive"
Customer No, the produce"
Us "if you mean organically registered, then NO, we couldn't afford the registration fee"
Customer"Well, is it sprayed"
Us "Yes but only with water"
It looks delicious, my friend recommended it and nobody else has it for sale"
Us "The Organic people used to come but they haven't been lately, said it didn't pay"

Customer exits with bags full.
If that's not confusion.....
Allan
KG Regular

I claim responsibility for this previous mailing, I had logged on, just that the system lost my identity.
Allan
m.o.g.

I dont think we would ever have guessed.
Ian F

Well said Mr Potato Head.

I find some of the Organic brigade slightly annoying with their "holier than thou " attitude.

I try to follow good, sensible practice, such as keeping the soil in good heart, growing resistent varieties etc.,but if I hit a problem I will reach for the spray. It suits me, and I do not believe that the vegetables are any the worse for it.

So many people who come on to the allotment site nowdays want to be organic from day 1, and do not last a season, losing heart with the perennial weeds, couch grass etc.

It seems to me to be much better to use chemicals appropriately, selectively and sparingly to get things right, and then follow organoc principles, rather than being hung up on something that cannot be instantly attained.

After all, as Mr Potato Head says, it's what works for you.
lizzie
KG Regular

I try to be as organic as possible. As I can't dig too much because of health problem I only dig what I have to. If I have a problem with the couch and bindweed that's the bane of my life, out comes the spray. I'd rather not but needs must. I've seen people come and go on our site because they won't use chemicals. I don't spray by the produce, choosing to hoe the tops off. Once the crop is out, then I spray. I just do what I have to do.
Lots of love

Lizzie
jane E
KG Regular

Why don't you use the spot on type of Round Up instead of spray near crops. It's excellent on bindweed. Bindweed also responds well to light elimination, so mulching and continual pulling to weaken it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic