Hats for Smoothies

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

I know this sounds crazy but Innocent Drinks who make those fabulous smoothies have a charity thing going which involves knitting tiny little hats for smoothies.

Sainsbury's put the hats on the smoothie bottles and for each hatted smoothie sold, 50p goes to Age Concern.

Have a look at http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/thebigknit/ if you're into knitting, it actually looks quite fun. They have patterns or you can make up your own design. With a target of 400,000 hats for this year that's a LOT of knitting. I'll be looking out my wool bag and needles when it gets dark.

Thinking about it, vegetable themed hats could be fun. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
jopsy
KG Regular

i can knit but haven't done it for years-do you think it's easy enough for a simpleton?
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Chantal
KG Regular

It's only a couple of dozen rows and they give full instructions. I think it should be possible to knock them out in around 30 minutes including stitching and making pom-poms. You can do it Jo :wink:
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal and Jopsy, i can just imagine when Tim and Roly see the knitting needles coming out, they will have that horrible sinking feeling from wondering whether they are going to get a baggy jumper. :twisted: :lol: :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elderflower
KG Regular

Wow! Looks like fun! :D
And each one quickly finished for `instant gratification` people like me! :D
mandylew
KG Regular

this looks fun i shall definately do some, might teach my son to knit and get him to do one...mandy
Chantal
KG Regular

OH you are a cheeky baggage. I've never knitted a baggy jumper in my life! I'll be down there with some knitting needles if you're not careful. :twisted:

I could knit and crochet when I was about four, before I could read or write and used to make clothes for my dolls and toys. My mother is a whiz at all this stuff and taught me well. :D

Baggy jumpers, hrrrrmph. :evil:
Chantal

Geoff
KG Regular

Knitting needles used to mean somebody was already wearing a baggy jumper but nowadays everything is bought, bit like the lack of baking.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hand knits are back in Geoff, it's finding the time to do them.

remember when I was 21 I was unemployed for 6 months and spent a lot of time knitting. I turned out over 50 Arrans, Fair Isles and general items of knitwear that year, over one per week :shock: Looking back I have no idea how I did it as I was also sailing and all sorts of other things. The one I remember the best was my boyfriend's mother asking me for an Arran cardigan on a Thursday night and I gave it to her to wear on the Sunday evening. I even have a photo of me knitting one of the sleeves. Ahhhh, those were the days. :roll:

Gardening and knitting don't mix too well though as my rough little paws tend to shred the wool. :?
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, i do really like handmade clothing, and i'm sure your knittings is second to none. :)

Years ago i used to play darts with a bloke that had a hand knitted jumper made by his wife with a dartboard pattern on the front.
He used to take it off as soon as he got in the pub car park, then put it back on at the end of the night for going home.
He did get caught out though, as it was the only item of clothing that didn't smell of smoke. :)
That makes me chuckle evertime i think about it, i bet he got a right old earbashing. :lol: :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Preferable to having OH put a dart in the wrong bull though I should think.
jopsy
KG Regular

Geoff, Lily and I baked yesterday, I'm also currently sewing her baby doll some clothes.
OH my knitting only extends to teddies and lots of scarves! I prefer sewing
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Chantal
KG Regular

There was a lady from our local council who visited my sister's restaurant for a business meeting. Shirley and Tim (he's the manager) met her and offered to take her coat, which was hand knitted. She took the coat off, and the hand knitted hat, scarf, gloves and oversized cardigan to reveal a hand knitted skirt, pullover, AND stockings. They couldn't look at each other without starting to crack up laughing as they were both wondering if she knitted her underwear too. She then mentioned that she liked knitting. :lol:

Can you imagine what would happen if she got caught in the rain; she'd not be able to move with the weight of it all. :lol: :lol:
Chantal

submariner
KG Regular

Do they have a lace patern? Mary cannot knit or sow, but does keen Bedford lace, with bobbins galore!
Love veg!
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Submariner, no they don't, but if she can make something to fit an Innocent smoothie bottle I'm sure they'd be delighted. She'd win "Hat of the Month" with something like that, I'm sure of it. What's more, you can submit your own patterns, so set her the challenge. :D
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic