Metals as slug barriers

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Angi
KG Regular

On GW, Monty Don used copper pipe screwed to a raised bed plus nematodes in the bed to keep it slug and snail free. Brilliant idea, I thought, until I realised how much copper pipe cost. Now I know I could look in skips for old pipe, but I doubt it shows up that often, so I started to wonder if other metals might have the same effect, in particular aluminium (I have some of that!). Has anyone else tried this, or know if it might work?
Monika
KG Regular

Angi, when I plant out the giant sunflowers (sown in roottrainers), I always wrap the bottom part of the stems in kitchen foil and that has certainly kept the slugs off the last couple of years when, before, they used to be eaten as soon as they were planted out. So it might be worth trying.
Angi
KG Regular

What a good idea! I would never have thought of that. So easy and such a good way to recycle old foil. I will definitely give that a try.
Rich
KG Regular

Yes the world market for copper is through the roof. Mind you that nematode stuff is hardly cheap either.

As a test I did buy about five copper rings to put around selected plants, and although not 100% effective the plants that had the copper around them were significantly less chewed than the plants without copper rings.
However the protection I prefer for my veg' plot will always be fleece with at least 6 inches buried in the soil around the outside.
I will have to try foil on my sunflowers. Thanks for the tip.
Ritchie.
red pepper
KG Regular

Doubt if other metal would work, the reason copper does work is that when the slug crawls on to it it then creates a circuit and produces an electric charge.
King Carrot
KG Regular

Allie conducts electricity too, been using tin foil collars on all my sunflowers following 3 serious attacks.

jobs a goodun.. definately worth experimenting further :?:
Monika
KG Regular

Following my aluminium foil trial on sunflowers, I encased two large pots in kitchen foil before planting them with butternut squash and placing them on top of the compost heap which is absolutely riddled with large snails and slugs. The squashes aren't doing particularly well because of the strong winds and lack of sun, but they have certainly not been attacked by slugs or snails, so the foil seems to have kept them off!
June
KG Regular

We find the copper rings work pretty well but as they are so expensive we've been experimenting with our home made variety on the allotment. We use plastic drinks bottles cut down to make cylinders and stick copper 'slug stoppa' tape around them.
I wouldn't say they have been 100% successful but they seem to have given most plants used around a head start, letting them grow big enough to fend off attacks better.
(slug stoppa tape is sold in the Organic Gardening catalogue and garden centres near us have it. I think it's around a fiver for 3 metres!)
I'm going to try the aluminium foil tip as well!
June
King Carrot
KG Regular

June, good idea using the plastic bottle collers, perhaps you could try them with the tin foil instead of the copper tape, I'll probably try it myself next year.

KC
Allan
KG Regular

I don't thonk aluminium is a good choice, it always has an oxide film on the surface which would stop the slug's slime reacting with it.
Pippa Greenwood reckons that zinc as in galvanised steel works as well as copper.
You might like to try a beer slug trap. A large yogurt pot and lid, cut 2 holes just under the top lip and beer in the bottom. Bury to about one third height with beer. apparently the smell is irresistible. Clear slugs daily.
Allan
CradleyMike
KG Regular

There are two easy ways to get rid of slugs and snails.

1. Encourage your neighbours to use slug pellets these attract the slugs and snails and hence they will migrate to your neighbours and instant death.

2. Leave plastic sheets or planks of wood lying on the ground overnight, next morning turn them over and collect the slugs and snails.

Neither of these methods is expensive, unlike copper and other metals.
Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic