micky mouse

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

broad beans, peas& sweetpeas can all fall victim to mice just after sowing this is pretty well documented, but this past week I've had to deal with mice raveging the bark on fruit trees at the garden centre where I work and also in my greenhouse where they are creating havoc with just germinated onion seedlings I have no doubts that it is Micky and his gang as there is evidence of their poo and I have caught some of the b..gers. Just thought I'd mention it. another one to think about, to undo all your good work!
Allan
KG Regular

As a routine matter I have to cover all seed trays with mesh cages. If you buy a standard 3'x2'mesh panel and cut one side of a square in each corner and bend as an inverted tray you can make a cover to fit over 3 standard seedtrays or module trays. Unfortunately not tall enough to protect the seedlings until planting out, for that I use a homemade cage 1' high, 2' across and long enough to take a Growbag tray or 2 standard Stewart square ones. I can mail you or anybody else more details. As the panels are wired together they are also useful in other ways e.g. rabbit guards.
Regarding peas some 20 plus years ago I went over to always raising these in x40 module trays then planting in rows against the netting. This totally defeats mice and birds.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic