Potatos, shallots, carrots and beetroots....

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

VeggieAli
KG Regular

Hi,

I am hoping someone on here can help us! My husband and I have just started our own veggie plot in our garden. we planted early potatos, beetroots, carrots and shallots on march 16. All are coming on very niceley indeed.

Can anyone tell me when we should be harvesting them? My Dad siad that the early potatos should flower first...do I did them all up at once?

With beetroots, how long till they are ready?

Shallots....what do we do with them?! How do you know when to dig them up?!

Carrots - we planted 2 varieties (Parmex and Chantenay) when should these be ready?

Any advice much appreciated!
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

Hi

According to the Thompson and Morgan website, you can start harvesting First Earlys from 10 weeks after planting. Some First early potatoes never flower so your best bet is to have an exploratory root around with your fingers from around that time and see what you find, then dig up as and when you need rather than all at once, since new potatoes don't keep very well.

As for the carrots, they'll need a lot longer before harvesting, I'd think, as would the shallots. The beetroots, though, might be worth a look – probably more like baby beets but you could always pull up one or two and see.

hope that helps
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Ali

After a successful few years you'll know the answers. For the time being, here are a few very easy guides.

Early potatoes: as the previous post says, some earlies don't flower. If they do flower they are ready for digging as tasty small new potatoes. Depending on where you are, yours should be ready any time between now and mid-June. My earlies, here in NW Wales, usually take between 9 and 12 weeks. Dig up only what you need and preferably just before you want to cook them.

Shallots: Yours should be ready mid-July. When the foliage has turned brown and dried and the clumps can be lifted easily, they're ready.

Carrots and beetroot: These are ready when they are the size you want them, but neither are a quick crop.

If you want quick crops you could try growing salad leaves or mixed baby leaves.

http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/dep ... roduct.htm

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/crops/saladleaves.asp

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
VeggieAli
KG Regular

Thanks, we weren't too worried about a quick crop - just didnt know what to do now they had started growing!

thanks for sald leave links Alan, will be trying some of them with the tomoato plants my Dad is giving us.

My best friends dad is also giving us lot of veg plants so advice is always on hand - especially with this forum!

thanks again, will let you know how we get on!

Ali
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic