Reproducing a clematis

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I have a beautiful purple clematis but frustratingly the label has done missing and I can't remember its name. I would love to reproduce another one. Does anybody know how I could do this? Can it be done by taking cuttings at this time of year?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear primrose, yes it can be done now, if you have got any young shoots that are not above about two inches long coming of the main stem.

Cut them off at the main stem.
Remove any leaves around the base, and all but one pair of developed leaves, and leave the growing tip.
They will need some free draining compost, maybe you could add perlite or grit.
The main thing then is to keep them warm but damp, you will probably have to mist them once a day, but don't over water the compost.
You can place the pot of cuttings in a plastic bag.
When the cuttings have started to root :) reduce the misting.
When they start showing new growth you may pot them on.

The two biggest mistakes are to let the leaves dry out, or to over water the compost.
Good luck. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
madasafish
KG Regular

I have just (3 weeks ago) taken cuttings of a neighbour's clematis. I took a 5mm diameter branch , cut into 5 lengths each about 15cms long and put each into a 3inch pot with a mix of multipurpose compost and gritty soil. That's it. And watered every two days.

So far every one bar one has produced sideshoots and appears to be doing well.. I think they are Nellie Moser and it certainly appears to grow to a great length 3-5 metres plus and was up in our crab apple tree at the top (5metres) before I cut it out..

I intend to plant at the foot of the stump of the willow I have recently cut down so they can grow up an dcover the stump. Need some more growth and some rain before I can conteplate any planting tho...
Primrose
KG Regular

Many thanks both of you. I will follow your instructions and give this a try.
vivie veg
KG Regular

Hi Madasafish,

I would not be surprised if your willow stump starts to grow prolifically, unless you have done something to kill it. But I'm sure the clematis will look lovely growing though the new branches.

Good luck with the cuttings.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
madasafish
KG Regular

>VV
I'm sorry but the willow is truly dead: bark falling off the main trunk. The woodpeckers enjoyed hammering away last summer and many branches were covered in holes where they had been at work.I suspect an outbreak of honey fungus judging by the growths last autumn. (it appears endemic in our garden and has killed off most of one privet hedge plus two ornamental hawthorns..over the past 20 years)

My clematis cuttings were watered daily and now the roots are coming through the bottom of one pot and the growths on top are 5-6cm long...It would appear that all of the cuttings have taken.

Anyone in or near Stoke on Trent who would like a free clematis cutting pm me. We live in (Northern)Biddulph.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Primkrose, I have had some degree of success in layering clematis; I do think it is the easiest way of propagating these climbers. Allow a stem to trail alongthe ground and pin it down at a node, or keep it on the ground with a brick or a stone.

Alternatively, get a styrofoam cup and cut a slit at the top. Fill it with compost and nick the stem at the node you want to root. Press the styrofoam cup onto the node where the nick is and tie with string or an elastic band so that the compost doesn't fall out.

By mid to late autiumn you should have roots formed at the node. I now lose my cuttings by putting them into the ground at this time or early spring. The secret is to grow them on in containers for a couple of years and only get them into the ground when they really are established plants.

Of course, all this must depend on the type of soil you have; yours may be more hospitable to young plants [and less slugful].

Good luck

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for your suggestions. Two weeks ago I took a couple of small cuttings and they are currently in pots in my mini plastic greenhouse. So far both of them are still surviving and looking healthy so I will keep my fingers crossed. I take the point about making layered cuttings direct into a container rather than the soil because of slugs and if I need to take further cuttings via this method I'll bear this in mind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic