Dwarf French Beans

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Bloaterfish
KG Regular

I was wanting to plant Purple Teepee dwarf French Beans this year . I have planted these before outside with great success on my allotment. However I don't have an allotment now and am pushed for space. I was wondering if anyone has had any success growing any dwarf varieties in pots, and if so if they did anything out of the ordinary? Many thanks.
Lyn
KG Regular

I always grow my French beans in pots because much of my garden is in shade until mid-day in the summer, and pots have the advantage of being moved around to get the best of the available sun. Last year grew Purple Tepee and The Prince (dwarf) and Cobra and Cherokee ToT (climbing) - 4/5 dwarfs to a 10" pot, and 5 climbers to a 12 or 15" pot, with a wigwam of canes for the climbers. (These need heavy pots to prevent being blown over in strong winds). Fed weekly with liquid seaweed feed, needed to water every day in the hot weather. Very good yields, but found that the climbers gave a better yield in terms of space.
Go for it!
Lyn
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Agree, climbers are better suited to pots. I have also done ok with runners in large pots.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Beryl
KG Regular

I agree climbing French beans in pots will give a better yield as for Runner beans, a good dwarf variety is 'Hestia', seed available from Kings and others. Although if you are short of space why not grow them over an arch either side of the garden path. This way you will get a heavy crop in a small space.

Beryl.
valerie chambers
KG Regular

We started to grow dwarf french beans in pots simply because, if you grow them in the garden, the weight of the beans drops them down to earth/slug level. We continued this until all our stocks of dwarf bean seed was exhausted.

I would agree that climbing french beans are a better option, whether in containers or in open ground. The beans are kept well above slug damage, and do seem to crop better. Mr Fothergill's catalogue used to have a variety Rustico, which was suitable for indoor growth, and self pollinating. Unforunately it is not in its 2006 catalogue.

Personally, I would fo for climbers rather than dwarf

best wishes,

valmarg
valerie m chambers
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

i'd go for a climber anyday,rather than a dwarf,they can reach the spot a lot better aspecially the french ones,its the ooh la lar! sorry val,i'm bringing the tone down yet again,but hey what ever.im a very twisted lady. :wink:i defo need help.
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
lizzie
KG Regular

Grock, you have more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing. And you can call me Susan if it isn't so.

(Lord Melchett, Blackadder 2, Beer)
Lots of love

Lizzie
LakeView
KG Regular

To add my two cents (er, pence) I put some dwarf french beans (purple and yellow) in the front garden border along the driveway a year and a half ago, and the husband remarked what nice flowers (and foliage) and didn't notice they were veg until sometime later!!! He's not too keen on veg in the front garden, but I got away with it that once!

I can understand the attraction of pots, though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic