Dried pulses

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

We use a lot of pulses, particularly mixed beans and green peas. I can never remember: do I wash the stuff before soaking and then use the soakingwater for cooking? Or do I soak them, then wash them in a sieve and use fresh water for cooking? Or does it matter? I seem to remember that there was a reason for doing it one way or another.
tea-shot
KG Regular

Dear Monika, I always wash the pulses first - then soak in fresh cold water - then boil in fresh cold water . It's just the way I was brought up :) :!:
Angi
KG Regular

I agree. Never cook them in the soaking water.
Monika
KG Regular

Many thanks, tea-shot and Angi. I'll do that from now.
nannygreen
KG Regular

Pulses always used to be rinsed after soaking and often the first water of boiling was discarded too, because beans means f..ts!It was thought the worst of the wind making properties was washed off this way.Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work-you need special flora in your gut to digest the part of the beans that make you explode. But, it seems if you eat a lot of beans you do develop the flora needed, eventually-probably after you've lost all your friends! If you really want to know what pain means, try eating Jerusalem artichokes. AAArgh!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic