Potato Choice

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tigger
KG Regular

It's Potato Day at Ryton this weekend - Saturday for members, Sunday for everyone - and all the experts will be there, including Alan Roman.
Chantal
KG Regular

Mmmm I know, I'm going and I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :D

Oh, Sir Walter Raleigh will be there too apparently...
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

I'll bring those recipes for you Chantal - it's easier than typing them out!

Margaret.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I believe I am right in saying that the slugs that cause real problems live underground and slug pellets won't affect them. Slugs will sometimes attack the leaves though I found that the ones with 'hairiest' leaves like King Edward were least affected, but Dunluce were very much to the slugs liking.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Colin - I have always thought that slugs move all over the place and those found underground, just happen to be there at that time and at some stage will be above ground too. I am no expert though and would love to know if this is correct or not too. Either way, we find slug pellets very effective in protecting our precious plants. Jane E swears by ash too, so we are thinking of trying this too.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi all

Now, I don't want to sound like an anorak or anything but, if my memory serves me correctly, there are about 50 - 100 different types of slugs, most of who live underground. They do a fab job with the microbes etc needed in the soil. Slug pellets are not effective on these ones, only the ones above ground.

Slugs do not like hairy leaves at all as it hurts them to climb up for a quick nibble. I've never tried sowing hairy plants with the veg to see what happens but it might be worth a go on a couple of beds. Just to see what happens.

Anyone else have any thoughts about these slimy little reprobates?
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic