Mould patches on syrup

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I've made some delicious raspberry & blackberry syrup but one of the bottles has developed a couple of small patches of mould floating on the surface. Have strained off the mould, reboiled the syrup in the microwave and rebottled in a clean bottle.
Do you think it will now be safe to use?
It tastes delicious and I'm really reluctant to waste it if it can be rescued in this way. Would you risk it?
Tigger
KG Regular

Hmmnnn. I'm no scientist but I'd be happier if you'd reboiled it in a pan and checked the temperature with a sugar thermometer.

Microwave cooking isn't even, so you may not have killed off all the spores.
Alison
KG Regular

I agree with Tigger, I would reboil it in a saucepan, and be sure that it is boiling all the way through. You could then try dividing it up into little containers and freezing it, just taking out, say, a container at a time which could be kept in the fridge.
Sounds lovely! How did you make it? And what sort of things do you use it for?
Alison.
Primrose
KG Regular

Alison - these syrups are quite easy to make. They store for ages in bottles, or can be frozen and thawed though as needed. We use them diluted with hot water and a slice of lemon in winter, or pour them over sponge puddings, ice cream, etc.. I also stir them into my morning porridge to zing it up. Will post the recipe in Recipe section. I use the screw cap wine bottles to store them in, or you could also use well cleaned out plastic milk bottles if you want to freeze them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic