Tumbler Composters

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Douglas

Does anybody have any experience of using any of the various types of tumbler composters and are they any good? I would be interested in buying one in the west london area.

Thanks Douglas
LakeView
KG Regular

My next door neighbour has one; I'll ask and get back to you (don't see her much in the cold bleak days of winter!)
valmarg

Hi Douglas

We bought one years ago. We have hardly used it. The main reason we have not used it is when you have a lot of composting material in it, turning it is the easiest way I know of getting a double hernia. The more material there is in it, the heavier it gets.

Based on our experience, I would not recommend them.

valmarg
David H.

I bought a 340 litre Compos Tumbler 18 months ago and have used it regularly expect in mid Winter.
It needs filling completly and does get very hot, very quickly. Its quite hard work requirng rotating 5 times daily which can require considerable effort. Composting takes about 3/4 weeks but mine is always lumpy no matter what I put in it.
It was very expensive ( About £300) and if you are not in a rush I suggest a good metre square bin such as a Plantpak.
David
fen not fen
KG Regular

I had one years ago, it was okay and broke the stuff down quick, but didn't seem to get hot, so wouldn't knock out weed seeds etc.
LakeView
KG Regular

Finally got the chance to ask my neighbor with the CompostTumbler (she thought I might want to buy one so brought over all the literature etc!). She says it's ok, but very heavy now that it's really full. Stuff is still very wet (hence heavy) but it is breaking down OK. She can't highly recommend it (and probably wonders why she bought it... but I didn't push for that).

I can look through the literature if someone needs answers that might be there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic